MS Edge sneaked back in...

TheToolGuy

With the latest Windows 10 x64 update Microsoft sneaked MS Edge setup back into the following location:

C:\Program files(x86)\Microsoft and subdirectories inside the install.wim and is installed during setup ...

Solved it with this batch for my unattended setup:

UninstallMSEdge.cmd

@echo off SET MSEDGE=HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Edge for /F "tokens=2* skip=2" %%a in ('reg query "%MSEDGE%" /v "UninstallString"') do SET UnInst=%%b %UnInst% --force-uninstall --delete-profile

Regards,
TheToolGuy

And I discovered also that Asus Armoury Crate sneaks in MS Edge beta without notification or question asked...

Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ArmouryDevice\dll\ArmourySocketServer

Right click on MicrosoftEdgeBetaEnterpriseX64.msi and choose uninstall.

Regards,
TheToolGuy

ps.: Also possible to uninstall with a batch...

Last edited:
Perhaps this is a silly question but is there an a reason to not want Microsoft edge included in the windows operating system. Does edge do nasty things in the background, Spy more than I.e 11 ? I'd imagine it's integrated or going to be integrated very much the same was as internet explorer was, not that i have any intention of using either of those browsers but I try to integrate it for compatibility reasons.

Perhaps this is a silly question but is there an a reason to not want Microsoft edge included in the windows operating system. Does edge do nasty things in the background, Spy more than I.e 11 ? I'd imagine it's integrated or going to be integrated very much the same was as internet explorer was, not that i have any intention of using either of those browsers but I try to integrate it for compatibility reasons.

I created an unattended installation and I want it to do exactly what I want.
I don't want Microsoft or Asus do whatever they want and sneaky too, without user consent to install extra's or even telling the user ...

Asus Armoury Crate installs Microsoft Edge beta enterprise edition, no questions asked or even telling the user that it does ...
Microsoft released a Quality update removing flash (KB4598242), but also installs Microsoft Edge, no questions asked or even telling the user that it does ...

Both take over as default application, NOT my Firefox ...

I ditched Google Chrome because they do not hear what customers want, and MS Edge is based on the same sh*t ...

So I use Firefox and I want it to stay as my default application ...

Regards,
TheToolGuy

Yeah I totally agree, usually the harder someone pushes something the less it's in your interest. I guess I figured I'd leave Ie and Edge sectioned off in a small place on the hard drive just in case something "Needs" them to work

Microsoft released a Quality update removing flash (KB4598242), but also installs Microsoft Edge, no questions asked or even telling the user that it does ...

Both take over as default application, NOT my Firefox ...

Yeah's pretty rude, I had a friend end up with an encrypted computer because windows decided to encrypt the drives with a random password and then update the bios on him" no questions asked or even telling the user that it does". I can't imagine how anyone would think it's a good idea to be able to do that.

I wanted to know more about why people were avoiding edge thanks for your answer and for the inform on the update.

thats some real bad s--t what they did to your friend. after recent relevations even firefox even cant be trusted now. your only real choices are browsers based on FF and chrome which are more focussed to users and hope for the best.

thats some real bad s--t what they did to your friend. after recent relevations even firefox even cant be trusted now. your only real choices are browsers based on FF and chrome which are more focussed to users and hope for the best.
Yeah they turned on Hardware encryption on all hard drives silently and saved the key in the Treacherous Platform Model (TPM chip) and transparently decrypted the data until a BIOS update broke the process... yikes.

"recent revelations even Firefox" you've peaked my interest could you elaborate ?

I'm using brave at the moment which seems to be reasonably good.

Microsoft released a Quality update removing flash (KB4598242), but also installs Microsoft Edge, no questions asked or even telling the user that it does
i heard about the update that removes flash, didnt know about the sneaky though. thats bad, real bad. :mad:

i heard about the update that removes flash, didnt know about the sneaky though. thats bad, real bad. :mad:
I did as well, there is a stand alone flash-player for the old flash content not that it's really the same thing. I hate sneaky. that's why I'm on these forms lol.

With the latest Windows 10 x64 update Microsoft sneaked MS Edge setup back into the following location:

C:\Program files(x86)\Microsoft and subdirectories inside the install.wim and is installed during setup ...

Solved it with this batch for my unattended setup:

UninstallMSEdge.cmd

@echo off SET MSEDGE=HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Edge for /F "tokens=2* skip=2" %%a in ('reg query "%MSEDGE%" /v "UninstallString"') do SET UnInst=%%b %UnInst% --force-uninstall --delete-profile

Regards,
TheToolGuy

Hi, TheToolGuy

How to implement this script into mounted wim ISO?
All I want is to get rid of that edge from wim prior to install
A little help please

ntlite already can remove at first install and actually block for future installs, you dont need to implement anything. blocking part is a not %100 tho...

Back