NTLite crashes on opening

Starcruiser

I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 (version 2004) and I've used NTlite on this computer previously. My old version didn't want to load. No problem, I'll just download the latest beta version (v2.1.0.7726) and try to run that. Nope. Still not loading. I fully reinstalled the program too, removing settings etc.
Event viewer shows a generic application error, as follows, and any help is appreciated.
Code:
Fault bucket 2053778660238037981, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: NTLite.exe
P2: 2.1.0.7726
P3: 5fb28310
P4: StackHash_f9d8
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: c0000005
P8: PCH_E0_FROM_unknown+0x0000000000000000
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER638F.tmp.dmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER63CF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER63E0.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER63ED.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER641D.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_NTLite.exe_ae52755b8e1a4b0a02ac6c49c9cec6fa14714eb_a9f22727_ae631aa8-10c2-4847-9254-0c6dc51be7b5

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 9dce191d-0597-415d-9a98-dcff6047c79c
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: da6d276f4c5f302cbc807ccf62c413dd
Cab Guid: 0
Code:
Faulting application name: NTLite.exe, version: 2.1.0.7726, time stamp: 0x5fb28310
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000281bae50022
Faulting process id: 0x36e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6c442a7b28644
Faulting application path: D:\Programs\NTLite\NTLite.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 9dce191d-0597-415d-9a98-dcff6047c79c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have the same problem with a Windows 7 installation, with both the latest Stable and Beta Versions, The issue persists on 2 computers, and 3 windows 7 operating systems.

I get no error in my event viewer, the program just refuses to load. Interestingly an older version 1.10 works just fine. As far as I'm aware I've got all the Visual C++ redistributables and versions of .Net

Is there a list somewhere or required components for Ntlite to run and have they changed since version 1.10 ? Could it possibly be a licensing root certificate style issue (I.e missing something like KB3004394 that update was needed in order for Https pages to work)

Just tossing theory's hopefully someone who knows more than me can help

This is actually why I joined the forms (Starcruiser) just beat me to it ^_^

For Windows 7 is needed SHA2 update KB4474419. I have fully updated image and NTLite runs fine.

On Windows 10 works good too.

Have you both used image modified by NTLite? Or do you have any antivirus that can prevent app from loading?

Hi,

the only known reasons for tool crashing on opening are:
- Nahimic audio driver/filter, more info here
- KVM, more info here on a workaround
- Win7 requires SHA2 update (KB4474419 x64 | x86), as George stated
- CryptoPro, a Russian certificate management tool, it injects many DLLs and intercepts the connections
(should be fixed from version 2.1.0.7862 onwards, please report if still an issue)

On all of these it's not a mistake on my part, but I would like to have access to debug Nahimic and certificate management to see what they inject to the process and why it crashes it, maybe politely ignore. Still they should not inject anything to the tool's memory in the first place.

KVM setting is a must for most games and hardware tools anyway.

SHA2 requirement was introduced by Microsoft, it was a security update due to SHA1 being vulnerable.

Last edited:
I have Nahimic on this system, that must be it. Thanks for the info! You can blame MSI for integrating it I guess.
I'll try disabling the driver or running from a VM.

UPDATE: Removing the Nahimic App from Windows was enough to get NTlite to launch. This unfortunately stops my microphone from working at all, (again, thanks MSI) but I can always reinstall it later. Thanks again!

Last edited:
For Windows 7 is needed SHA2 update KB4474419. I have fully updated image and NTLite runs fine.

On Windows 10 works good too.

Have you both used image modified by NTLite? Or do you have any antivirus that can prevent app from loading?
NTlite hasn't modified the computers that are having trouble.

I don't have non of the computers I'm working on have Nahimic but I do have an MSI Laptop that does so thanks for that information. I'm not using a KVM so that's not the problem either.

I don't appear to have the SHA2 update KB4474419 on the computers that are having issues, it's the first time I've heard of it and I've not had anything else that has needed this update. I tried installing the stand alone update from Microsoft without success, apparently it's a rather troublesome update in that a lot of people are having problems getting it to install. I'm still working on trying to get that update installed but I've been getting tons of different answers non of which have worked, I've tried the Windows Repair Tool from Tweaking.com however it made no difference. So I'm guessing this is the problem.

any suggestions on why the update won't install ?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 4th windows 7 ultimate X64 computer which is able to launch Ntlite however at the final stage of making a windows 7 ultimate x64 service pack 1 slipstream, I get error 87 invalid parameter. Aside from that no clues about which parameter is invalid.

(Not sure if I should make a new topic about that since it's a separate issue.)

Last edited:
Starcruiser, good, there should be a driver without the filter, same chip.

KaptanJackSparrow, the no startup sounds like missing SHA2 indeed.
Install the 64-bit version on x64, reboot and try then, cannot harm you and it's direct link from Microsoft.

As for the other issue, is it a SP1 ISO and it's being updates with latest Win7 updates from NTLite (Updates - Add - Latest online) or what is being integrated?
In that case just make sure not to add any of the ESU (does not support integration) updates, more info here.
To begin with just get to the add latest updates and don't change any selections, just Enqueue and apply.

Thanks.

@Starcruiser, good, there should be a driver without the filter, same chip

Good to know, I'll Omit that software when I rebuild my MSI laptop and upgrade it from windows 10 to windows 7 at a later date, Thank you.

@KaptanJackSparrow, the no startup sounds like missing SHA2 indeed.
Install the 64-bit version on x64, reboot and try then, cannot harm you and it's direct link from Microsoft.

Thank you for the link, I had already tried the official update from Microsoft. It attempts to install and fails. I have been looking for solutions as to why, it seems to have happened to a number of other users for various reasons. I am using the Right version of the update, I am an Admin, and my boot drive should have enough space for the update, cause of failure remains unknown.

Attempted fixes:

https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html
Tried the above tool, it made a lot of changes but didn't resolve the issue.

still working on it but so far no resolution.

---------------

Other issue

I've attached my configuration file, it should show all the changes I was making.

The Iso is Win7 Ultimate SP1_English COEM_x64, it was a windows 7 and service pack 1 bundle downloaded from Microsoft circa 2017, I figured it would probably be easier and more reliable to use as a starting points than to use my purchased OEM windows 7 Ultimate DVD Rip and try to integrate service pack 1 myself.

I wasn't integrating any security updates, I am only interested in functional updates such as the Root Certificates update needed for HTTPS, NVMe & USB 3 support and driver and the SHA-2 update mentioned above (to start with)

My view on this is that windows is full of holes and If a motivated and skillful bad actor is going to hack into my computer no puny security updates are going to stop them. In some cases they just increase complexity and make the system slower and more unstable.

Attachments

• Backup sesssion.xml
    29.1 KB
Last edited:
Back