Photos app not working for editing in Windows 11 22621.1

SM03

After installing the win11 sv2 22621.1 modded via NTL, the photo app is not working for editing & marking, it is working for viewing the photos but not for any editing job, for confirmation, I tested on two different systems and the same issue on both

P.S: I am using the same (usual) preset that I used in the Sv1 branch where this issue does not exist.

Step I did so far:
1. uninstalling & reinstalling the app, didn't work
2. repair/reset the app from app settings here, didn't work either
23.png

Win11 ISO used: UUP made 22621.1 Pro Edu
NTLite used: latest 2.3.5.8714

Screenshot of the issue while clicking on the edit button
1.png

Preset attached:

Attachments

• 22621.1 (May-22).xml
    28.4 KB
  • 23.png
    23.png
    111.7 KB
Last edited:
It's 22H2 or 21H1. No one uses Windows code names except for tech journos.

Why don't you try the latest Photos app build from store.rg-adguard (Fast Ring)? The newest release is June 3 (last Friday).
Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2022.31060.3004.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.appxbundle

It's 22H2 or 21H1. No one uses Windows code names except for tech journos.
it's 22H2
22H2 codename is Sun Valley 2, the (So called) RTM build is 22621.1
22H1 codename is sun valley, the current retail build is 22000.708

don't know abt your exp, but many folks use these (codenames) on various online forums
& I also mentioned the build number along with the codename in my post,

But I agree that the 22H2 version name is more popular & easy to understand than the codename, & I forgot to mention that.

Why don't you try the latest Photos app build from store.rg-adguard (Fast Ring)? The newest release is June 3 (last Friday).
Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2022.31060.3004.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.appxbundle
this was my installed app version
11.png

Done installed the latest v2022.31060.3004.0 as you suggested, still the same

currently, using Pro Edu for the first time to use the remove recommendation feature & never used any edition except pro before so asking, does this have anything with the Win edition?

Last edited:
Loaded your preset on 22621.1 EDU, can't repro this problem.

Last edited:
garlin
regarding your post, can you tell me what's the photo app version you used for that post? is that stock v21.21030.25003.0 or updated/latest v22.31060.3004.0? From the SS you shared, it seems you've used the stock /preinstalled v21.21030.25003.0 where the issue not exist. update the photo app to the latest v22.31060.3004.0 & then tell me.

I performed several tests regarding this photo app issue, & here is the full summary

The issue is not with the stock App v21.21030.25003.0 that comes preloaded/preinstalled with the ISO, editing is fine there for that version.
The issue starts once you updated the app manually via MS store or MS store updates that automatically to the latest v22.31060.3004.0
Then you can view the photo but if click on the edit button, noting, except a blank screen

I did the following
1. Tested with stock ISO, the issue is not there, even after updating to the latest photo v22.31060.3004.0, editing is working.
2. If you mod Win11 via NTL, then the issue starts, & that too, after updating to the latest photo app version, no issue with the stock version.
3. Tried three NTLite versions earlier Ntlite v2.3.5.8714 (released on11th May-22)
& now today the newly released two versions i.e. NTLite 2.3.5.8775 (7th June-22) & latest NTLite 2.3.5.8777 (8th June-22)

Tested with all these two new releases with the hope of a fix, but none worked.

Also experienced two other bugs from 22h2 22621.1. ISO
1. DND (Do not disturb) mode is on by default since the first boot
2. Windows Insider option under windows update is broken

This time, sharing my preset again (without any registry file or anything attached with the preset), pls do a test & let me know
Also sharing the screen recording from my VM.

Rich (BB code):

Animation.gif

Direct link of the GIF in case not working

Rich (BB code):

Direct link of the GIF in case not working

Tagging nuhi for crosscheck &
if anyone wants, I can upload the ISOs (both stock 22621.1 & modded) as well & share the link here

Attachments

• preset to share.xml
    26 KB
Last edited:
Was able to confirm the editor window is blank (but other features worked).
2022.31060.3004.0 + your preset - doesn't work​
2022.31060.3004.0 + clean image - works​

I couldn't see any obvious errors in reviewing ProcMon or event logs. If your NTLite license is for the same machine, install a clean image and by process of elimination, keep removing a few components at a time. Then re-check if Photos is broken.

Repeat until you discover which removal stopped Photos from working. This is a faster strategy compared to re-imaging your system.

I decided to make one last try before giving up. Looking inside the Photos app folder for clues, I found HTML resource files in Assets.
Was Photos actually making Edge library calls? ProcMon confirmed yes.

With that, I restarted with a clean 22621 and removed Edge.
2022.30060.3006.0 - works​
2022.31060.3004.0 - doesn't work​

There you go. Stop removing Edge, MS apps will always expect it's installed for HTML support. Same rule as why you shouldn't remove IE.
I don't make the rules.

Was able to confirm the editor window is blank (but other features worked).

doesn't: your preset + Photos 2022.31060.3004.0
works: clean image + 31060

working:
1. my preset (Modded ISO) + stock preloaded Photos app v21.21030.25003.0
2. Clean image without modding (obvious)

not working: modded ISO only when photo app updated to latest v2022.31060.3004.0

I couldn't see anything obvious in reviewing ProcMon or event logs. If your NTLite license is for the same machine, install a clean image and by process of elimination, keep removing a few components at a time. Then re-check if Photos is broken.

Repeat until you discover which removals stopped Photos from working. This is a faster strategy compared to re-imaging your system.
IDK what's the issue exactly & that's why I posted it here & tagged nuhi to investigate further.
Waiting for new Win 22621 version to test
& waiting for nuhi's find out & for upcoming NTL version for the bugfix.

Last edited:
I decided to make one last try before giving up. Looking inside the Photos app folder for clues, I found HTML resource files in Assets.
Was Photos actually making Edge library calls? ProcMon confirmed yest.

With that, I restarted with a clean 22621 and removed Edge.
2022.30060.3006.0 - works​
2022.31060.3004.0 - doesn't work​

There you go. Stop removing Edge, MS apps will always expect it's installed for HTML support. Same rule as why you shouldn't remove IE.
I don't make the rules.
by my preset can you exactly point it out which option should I exclude for this?
whether it is

Component/Network: MS EDGE Update/MS EDGE (Chromium)
or
Component/Windows Apps: Edge (Legacy Apps)

Edit: New 22621.3 build released, trying with that build now
BTW, garlin
what about the other two bugs I mentioned i.e. DND auto turned on & Windows Insider page is broken, you didn't mention anything about those

Last edited:
MS has two HTML engines: IE11 (Legacy) and Edge (Trident). You cannot remove the browser and keep the engines.
Desktop apps may be written to use any of the two. UWP apps use Trident, PowerShell uses IE.

Because you don't know which apps require which engine, you have to keep everything. MS designed it this way so they can claim to US & EU courts that removing the browser will break Windows.

MS has two HTML engines: IE11 (Legacy) and Edge (Trident). You cannot remove the browser and keep the engines.
Desktop apps may be written to use any of the two. UWP apps use Trident, PowerShell uses IE.

Because you don't know which apps require which engine, you have to keep everything. MS designed it this way so they can claim to US & EU courts that removing the browser will break Windows.

kept= Component/Network: MS EDGE Update/MS EDGE (Chromium)
Removed= Component/Windows Apps: Edge (Legacy Apps)
Result: Not worked

UPDATE 2:
Kept both, and removed none of those two edge components
Result: Worked

UPDATE 3:
Kept= Component/Windows Apps: Edge (Legacy Apps)
Removed= Component/Network: MS EDGE Update/MS EDGE (Chromium)

Installed & updated the photo app, editing is working, so the real dependency is
Component/Windows Apps: Edge (Legacy Apps)

Thanks, garlin
but the DND issue is still there, tagging nuhi to take a note of this

Last edited:
Not every Windows annoyance is a NTLite task.

DND isn't a single DWORD value. Toggling DND is only a Control Panel action for updating several notification rules at the same time.
Learn to use a registry tool, like RegistryChangesView. You'll see the modded keys write a long array of (undocumented) hex values.

That's the reason no site explains how to regedit or script DND/Focus Assist/Quiet Hours, other the simple stuff.

EDIT - But you already asked Shawn.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/102201-change-focus-assist-automatic-rules-windows-10-a.html

Last edited:
Everything could also depend on the evolution of the version, since currently the version has reached 22621.4 maybe ...

Not every Windows annoyance is a NTLite task.

DND isn't a single DWORD value. Toggling DND is only a Control Panel action for updating several notification rules at the same time.
Learn to use a registry tool, like RegistryChangesView. You'll see the modded keys write a long array of (undocumented) hex values.

That's the reason no site explains how to regedit or script DND/Focus Assist/Quiet Hours, other the simple stuff.

EDIT - But you already asked Shawn.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/102201-change-focus-assist-automatic-rules-windows-10-a.html
not saying it's (or anything) entirely up on NTL or modding, just sharing my exp, I will ck this with a stock W11 22h2 ISO clean install & update here.

& I asked Shawn about Focus Assist, not about DND,

More on that, that was on tenforum, for windows 10, not for w11

this DND (turned on by default from 1st boot) issue am see for the first time since W11 22h2 branch, this issue was not there in W11 21h2 22xxx branch, both, the issue & the segment are different.

Back