Possible New Bug - Windows Activation Problem (Rufus)

AsadAlrafidain

Hello....I recently noticed that any NTLite processing of Windows11 23H2 leads to a windows activation error as shown in the pictures bellow...I've tried many combinations of settings and finally decided to do minimal processing (Just removing other editions like Home, Pro N ....etc. without doing any other intervention....) but all tries leads to the same result: Activation Error

Note: the windows image is pristine, downloaded from Microsoft servers
Note2: I tried using only rufus on the image and the problem disappeared.

edit: uploaded my preset

edit: a possible workaround is never touching unattended section of NTLite when making a preset from scratch, or choosing "disable" when loading a preset that make changes to unattended settings

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    19.9 KB
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    18.6 KB
  • Desktop_Primary_No_Updates_Integration.xml
    16.9 KB
Last edited:
Your source image is 22631.3007 (Jan 2024). This is NOT a pristine image, because a newer ISO hasn't been released since Dec 2023. I checked my 23H2v2 ISO against the official hash value, and .3007 isn't the original image.

Please locate the original preset you used to modify/update the ISO.

Your source image is 22631.3007 (Jan 2024). This is NOT a pristine image, because a newer ISO hasn't been released since Dec 2023. I checked my 23H2v2 ISO against the official hash value, and .3007 isn't the original image.

Please locate the original preset you used to modify/update the ISO.
I have tried on 2 sources, one is a pristine ISO and the other is an updated ISO....they both gave the same result.

I realized now that I've provided the xml after processing the updated ISO but it is the same preset used in both cases with only the username and password changed

I used OSDbuilder to update the ISO, but didn't think it matters because I've tried processing both the updated and the pristine ISOs through NTlite and came with the same results

Last edited:
AsadAlrafidain You have been asked twice to post your preset, we cannot help further without it, we aint mind readers. Unless there is a reason you dont want people to see your preset for some reason :cool:

Error code 0x87e10bc6 points to a problem communicating with MS activation servers. Rufus has no features to impact this service.

So there's some key details that you're not recalling, because I've never seen anyone have this error. Some component removals are known to break activation, and can only be deleted after the system has been activated.

Hello again.....I've uploaded my preset for you to review
Since yesterday I've tried many times with different combinations of settings and a few successful attempts of producing a custom image capable of activation when no updates is integrated....I was about to pinpoint the cause to updates integration to the image, but my last attempt using my preset without updates integration on a pristine image proved me wrong

I'm starting to suspect that the issue is on Microsoft servers' side, but its weird because whenever i try installing from non-modified image (actually it's modified with rufus if that's to be considered a modification) it always activate successfully from 1st attempt

Attachments

• Desktop_Primary_No_Updates_Integration.xml
    16.9 KB
Last edited:
Are you using a VPN? You turned on DisableSmartNameResolution in DNS.
I'm not using a VPN....and I don't recall seeing this option "DisableSmartNameResolution" in NTLite settings

edit: I recall disabling 2 options; multi-homed and parallel name resolution in NTLite settings...would that affect windows activation if I'm not behind a VPN?

Last edited:
I don't have your network. Most of the time you don't have to change these settings.
But it shouldn't affect Windows Activation.....right? Besides, these options were disabled in all the presets I've tried, and a couple of them managed produce images that successfully activate....but I'll try with them disabled and see.

Last edited:
I don't have your network. DNS is used to reach MS (and other) servers.

Run this, and try activation again.
Code:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DNSClient" /v DisableSmartNameResolution /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters" /v /DisableParallelAandAAAA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

I don't have your network. DNS is used to reach MS (and other) servers.

Run this, and try activation again.
Code:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DNSClient" /v DisableSmartNameResolution /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters" /v /DisableParallelAandAAAA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
I tried it...the problem still exists

Update: I think I'm onto something..

when I choose "disable" in the unattended section of NTLite, the problem goes away (Tried twice with minimal changes in the preset, both activated successfully)
when I enable it again the problem returns...tried toggling the two skip oobe settings on and off but the result is the same (error 0x87E10BC6)..

Attachments

• Activated.png
    Activated.png
    9.2 KB
  • Disable_Unattended.png
    Disable_Unattended.png
    27 KB
Update: I think I'm onto something..

when I choose "disable" in the unattended section of NTLite, the problem goes away (Tried twice with minimal changes in the preset, both activated successfully)
when I enable it again the problem returns...tried toggling the two skip oobe settings on and off but the result is the same (error 0x87E10BC6)..
I don't want to be wrong but it could be that you misunderstood the activities in NTLite:
1) NTLite --> Toolbar --> Unattended: the qualification is exclusively on the (following) activities that you can do
2) By enabling Toolbar --> Unattended, you can decide which activities to allow or deny.

I don't want to be wrong but it could be that you misunderstood the activities in NTLite:
1) NTLite --> Toolbar --> Unattended: the qualification is exclusively on the (following) activities that you can do
2) By enabling Toolbar --> Unattended, you can decide which activities to allow or deny.
it might be tampering with unattended in the first place that caused the issue, then only by negating the changes done using disable (or reset function) that the problem goes away...
So maybe if you don't use the unattended section in the first place you won't have the problem, but if you do use it and the changes get saved in the preset (Like my case), you need either disable the unattended section or reset the fields...

Back