Problem integrating KB5028244 into Win10 Home Single Language

jvidal

Hi!
I'm trying to integrate the latest updates into Win10 and I'm facing a weird issue.
KB5028244 failed to integrate into Win10 Home SL, though it was correctly integrated into Win10 Pro And Win10 Home.
The first time this error appeared:
"integrando KB5028244 - cumulative update 19041.3271.1.15 - Error 0x800f0984 - [2436]"
Afterwards a message saying that the file was "externally modified" appeared, saying that it was corrupt and whatnot. I checked the SHA1 sum of the update ( windows10.0-kb5028244-x64.msu) and it is not corrupted. Plus, if it were corrupt, it wouldn't have been integrated into the other two editions.

I decided to try a second time (after disconnecting the ethernet cable) and it was also skipped, but the error shown is completely different:
"one or some of the features are disabled, so it can not be activated" (I'm translating, the message is in spanish).
Again, it only failed on Win10 Home SL, it was correctly integrated into Pro and Home Editions.

what could be happening here???

NTLite v2023.7.9368 x64 Running on win10 x64 22H2 build 19045.3208

Attachments

• NTLite.log
    103.6 KB
  • Sesión guardada automáticamente 023bed5c.xml
    8 KB
Last edited:
Don't know, haven't tried that.

But, like I said, the file is not corrupt, I verified the SHA1 hash and it's ok.
but, what about the second time? "one or some of the features are disabled..."

right now, I'm updating the host to KB5028244. Let's see what happens after that...

The corruption isn't from the original KB file, it's the extracted cache and temp mounted files. Integration requires extracting all the image files into a temp folder, merging changes in, and recreating the image for output. There are thousands of files at this processing stage.

The features warning is a restriction on the free edition of NTLite, where your preset may be calling a function which isn't available.

I'm using an old SSD drive as temporary storage for mounting, decompressing, etc.
It still has 81% life left, I don't think that could be an issue.

My preset isn't calling any special functions, it's the same i've been using for ages without any issues. Plus, why would it only complain for the SL edition and not for pro and home??????

Well, after updating the host to the latest build, testing the SSD (which passed a read test with 0 errors), repartitioning and formatting the SSD, I attempted the process again, selecting only Home SL and to my surprise, this time it completed succesfully.
I'm gonna try now with the 3 editions selected and see what happens.

One thing I did notice is that NTlite does not delete the extracted updates from the temporary folder (in my case e:\temp2, which is in the afformentioned SSD)

Edit: everything went fine, all 3 editions were processed correctly.

Last edited:
NTLite doesn't automatically clear the caches, because caching helps to improve future performance.

If you're having weird disk problems, you need investigate this more. A SSD read-only test is meaningless because it doesn't catch data corruption, which only a read/write test will find it. Use a disk monitoring tool to look at your SMART data for logged errors.

nothing strange reported by the SMART data on the SSD. everything seems in order. 81% life remainig.
I don't want to do a write-read test because that will shorten the lifespan on the drive...

nothing strange reported by the SMART data on the SSD. everything seems in order. 81% life remainig.
I don't want to do a write-read test because that will shorten the lifespan on the drive...
Honestly I have done a lot of writing and testing on my ssd 940 Samsung drive and it still shows at 94 percent health.

There is no security software installed, even windefend is completely disabled (not just turned off).
It seems clearing the SSD did the trick, I processed win10 and win11 without any issues.
For future reference, I think i will always clear the drive before starting the process

Home SL is virtual edition based on Home edition since Win10 v1803
you can just update Home and install Home SL key

0x800F0984 = PSFX_E_MATCHING_BINARY_MISSING
PSFX errors are common since Win10 v1903, it's best to use plain 19041.1 source to avoid them

Home SL is usually pre-installed on home laptops, whenever I have to reinstall it, for whatever reason, the edition is automatically chosen based on the bios.embeded key, I don't have a choice to install a different edition, which I don't mind anyway.

I've never seens this error before, I wouldn't know how common it is, I've been integrating updates for years...

you need to set unattended settings in ntlite. Check oem setupcomplete box and place oemkey of the edition u want

We're starting to talk about two separate issues.

By default, Setup wants to install the same Windows edition as appears in the OEM key. To allow user selection, you need to check Unattended's Prompt edition selection and create a new file, "sources\EI.cfg" in the ISO folder.

Code:
[EditionID]

[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

OEM PC's will ignore Post-Setup commands, unless you click the OEM SetupComplete checkbox.

that doesn't work for me, as I install windows on different computers all the time, each with its own product key and edition. I have to leave all that at the default setting.

Back