Some question about Win10 ISO modification & customization

SM03

Hello all,

I've some question regarding making customise Win10 ISO, those are

How to

1. Set the desktop icon default setting to the 'small icon' instead 'medium icon'?
2. Remove the default Store icon from the taskbar?
3. Enable 'peek preview of Desktop' in taskbar setting by default?
4. Turn On System Restore for the system (C) drive by default with refixed usage/space allocation i.e. 5% of the drive or 5GB
5 Delete selected or all reinstall fonts that contain in the Win10 ISO

Is there any reg tweak or other settings via NTlite that can be performed or possible then kindly suggest that?

6. Disable Internet Information Service (IIS) service completely? Earlier, I completely disable that service via NTLite option but it's still active under 'Windows Features' even after the fresh installation & the 'inetpub' folder is there in C drive, so any other dependencies/services/ options that need to be disabled as well?

7. Is it possible to schedule the night light settings pre-configuration via NTLite.

P.S, lately, in recent NTLite builds, both beta & stable, I am not seeing the option of the 'Immersive Context Menu' under Configure/Settings/Desktop that used to be present there, so is that option removed or become default for recent/latest Win10 RS5 builds or what I am missing here?

I hope to get some help from anyone of this forum here, especially from nuhi. Thank you all in advance.

Hello all,Is there any reg tweak or other settings via NTlite that can be performed or possible then kindly suggest that?

You can add registry tweaks at: Integrate\Registry

An example, for removing the Window Store icon from taskbar, create the next registry script file and add it through Integrate\Registry:

Tweak.reg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]
"NopinningStoreToTaskbar"=dword:00000001

You can add registry tweaks at: Integrate\Registry

An example, for removing the Window Store icon from taskbar, create the next registry script file and add it through Integrate\Registry:

Tweak.reg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]
"NopinningStoreToTaskbar"=dword:00000001
Thanks, I will try that, can you add/suggest any other registry tweaks for rest of my questions like this one.
EDIT I didn't find that particular 'explorer' regkey in my system, look at the screenshot, any idea what 've I missedScreenshot (188).png

EDIT I didn't find that particular 'explorer' regkey in my system, look at the screenshot, any idea what 've I missed

You have to add/create New - Key in Windows (in the screenshot) and set the Explorer name.

I'm also interested in tips for how best to get rid of IIS.

i may have succeeded in doing it with NTLite (1.8.0.6582) on a live system drive (win10 pro x64 1703), using a cloned drive. It was just a fly-by attempt by a novice and first-time user. I didn't care if i butchered everything. Also (though I do very much like the program) font size and color scheme of NTLite is very eye-straining for me, so i really skimmed through it. 'successful' in that 120+MB of constantly regenerating .etl bkup files [WINDOWS\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRT] disappeared.

My process was/is ignorant and vague, the outcome probably not optimal (every boot involves about 20sec of system loading just prior to desktop loading):
1) You may be forgetting to uncheck NTLite safety features in the Compatibilty section, to unlock removability for IIS parent items.
2) I searched for iis within the nttlite GUI and found nothing. Then searched for ..i really can't remember but I ended up unlocking Core Metro, Win Updates, OOBE, USB 3G, ... and now may have possibly impaired Event Log functionality.

[attaching the presets in case someone wants/knows how to see what i did that relates to iis; sorry i didnt keep better track with naming them]

Thanks to Nuhi and everyone for the program and community around it!

Last edited:
I'm also interested in tips for how best to get rid of IIS.

i may have succeeded in doing it with NTLite (1.8.0.6582) on a live system drive (win10 pro x64 1703), using a cloned drive. It was just a fly-by attempt by a novice and first-time user. I didn't care if i butchered everything. Also (though I do very much like the program) font size and color scheme of NTLite is very eye-straining for me, so i really skimmed through it. 'successful' in that 120+MB of constantly regenerating .etl bkup files [WINDOWS\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRT] disappeared.

My process was/is ignorant and vague, the outcome probably not optimal (every boot involves about 20sec of system loading just prior to desktop loading):
1) You may be forgetting to uncheck NTLite safety features in the Compatibilty section, to unlock removability for IIS parent items.
2) I searched for iis within the nttlite GUI and found nothing. Then searched for ..i really can't remember but I ended up unlocking Core Metro, Win Updates, OOBE, USB 3G, ... and now may have possibly impaired Event Log functionality.

[attaching the presets in case someone wants/knows how to see what i did that relates to iis; sorry i didnt keep better track with naming them]

Thanks to Nuhi and everyone for the program and community around it!

In my case, I disabled the IIS option fully via NTLite while making a full customised ISO from the Configure/Features section, but after the clean installation from the same customised ISO, I see that IIS is still enabled there under 'Windows Features' & the 'inetpub' folder is there too in C drive so that's why I think it may have some dependencies that need to be disabled too somewhere, expecting some confirmation from nuhi

Search for "Internet Information Server" in components, should be there as Internet Information Server (IIS), uncheck to remove it.
I have it removed in 7.

Search for "Internet Information Server" in components, should be there as Internet Information Server (IIS), uncheck to remove it.
I have it removed in 7.
Hello, read my above comment, I wrote there that I already did so yet that IIS service is still active so I think there is some other options & dependencies that need to be unchecked/removed too. BTW, I am speaking about Win10 ISO customization here, never tried on Win7 so not sure about that & the IIS option is there under Configure/Features section, not components if I am not wrong.

oh okay, thanks, I will do that & check & revert here.
Okay so I created a new key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows & and name it as Explorer. Now under this newly created Explorer key, which option should, I choose to create the NopinningStoreToTaskbar"=dword:00000001
Screenshot (189).png

I didn't had that issue when i removed IIS from 1803, the only way to have inetpub folder, is making changes to IIS in Features page. Don't make any change and uncheck in components page to remove it.

I didn't had that issue when i removed IIS from 1803, the only way to have inetpub folder, is making changes to IIS in Features page. Don't make any change and uncheck in components page to remove it.

That's exactly what I said. I.e. the IIS option is there at under Configure/Features section, not in the component section as you mentioned in your comment #8

That's exactly what I said. I.e. the IIS option is there at under Configure/Features section, not in the component section as you mentioned in your comment #8
Yes, there it is:
IIS.PNG
Okay, thanks, is this correct now
Yes, that is correct.
Also, do you have any other reg tweak suggestion for my 1st & 3rd question & the others then kindly guide me. Thanks once again.
For the 1st, i'm not sure about the reg tweak but for the 3rd it would work:
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"DisablePreviewDesktop"=dword:00000000
As the value is 0, it doesn't disable, it should enable the peek preview.

Yes, you're right, it looks like there are two IIS services options here in NTLite, one in components as your SS concerned, another one is under Configure/Features section as dependencies, check this SS.
Screenshot (13).png

Anyway, thanks for the heads up though, now I disable the both & will check.
& thanks again for the 3rd Reg tweak, ll try that too & let you know.

For the 1st, i'm not sure about...

BTW, for the 1st issue, earlier I asked nuhi for the same in THIS topic/OP that I created earlier & he provided me with this attached RegTweak file but that seems not to be working somehow, tried 2 times with no success, you can check & give your feedback

Attachments

• DesktopSmallIcons.reg
    388 bytes
Anyway, thanks for the heads up though, now I disable the both & will check.

If you uncheck in components, don't need to change in features, the features page is for enabling or disabling the components not removed.

... for the same in THIS topic/OP that I created earlier & he provided me with this attached RegTweak file but that seems not to be working somehow, tried 2 times with no success, you can check & give your feedback

Edit the DesktopsmallIcons.reg with notepad or another text editor and change 30 to a smaller number, 20-29:
"IconSize"=dword:00000030

If you want to show small detail list, set icon size to 11 and LogicalViewMode to 1

Back