W10 21H2 - Feature removal - Parameter incorrect

HolyK

Hi,

I am getting following errors upon building the ISO. Using NTLite 2.3.2.8526 64bit with Win10 21H2 ISO (SHA256 7F6538F0EB33C30F0A5CBBF2F39973D4C8DEA0D64F69BD18E406012F17A8234F )

Did i messed something or is this an NTLite bug?

Related preset XML:
Code:
    <Features>
        <Feature name="App.Support.QuickAssist~~~~0.0.1.0">false</Feature>
        <Feature name="Language.Handwriting~~~en-us~0.0.1.0">false</Feature>
        <Feature name="Language.OCR~~~en-us~0.0.1.0">false</Feature>
        <Feature name="Language.Speech~~~en-us~0.0.1.0">false</Feature>
        <Feature name="Language.TextToSpeech~~~en-us~0.0.1.0">false</Feature>
        <Feature name="Hello.Face.18967~~~~0.0.1.0">false</Feature>
        <Feature name="Hello.Face.Migration.18967~~~~0.0.1.0">false</Feature>
        <Feature name="Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64">false</Feature>
        <Feature name="Printing-XPSServices-Features">false</Feature>
        <Feature name="OneCoreUAP.OneSync~~~~0.0.1.0">false</Feature>
    </Features>

1640790781768.png

1640790713303.png

Attachments

• 1640790706314.png
    1640790706314.png
    14 KB
Last edited:
regarding to your application error: some people are also experience it. it is not about display page. i experienced it in windows update page and also another exe. you guys are experiencing it because you all are often going in that page. nuhi

Many W10 or W11 integration steps are incompatible with a W7 host. This is a known problem with DISM.
Run NTLite inside a W10 (or later) box, or VM.
Thanks! This was actually it. I've installed full W10 21H2 + NTLite in VM (had to vaste another License charge :/) and imported my preset there. Removal of the Features worked as expected.

Sadly the second issue with Unknown Exception is still there and as crypticus replied it seems to be more generic issue.

crypticus I've read your other thread. Well i can 100% replicate the error in the VM with the preset above. It always fails on the Display Settings. I've tried several other places and even installed some additional SW in the test VM, no crash/failure.

I guess i'll start reverting the changes in the preset to narrow down the source of the issue...

Thanks! This was actually it. I've installed full W10 21H2 + NTLite in VM (had to vaste another License charge :/) and imported my preset there. Removal of the Features worked as expected.

Sadly the second issue with Unknown Exception is still there and as crypticus replied it seems to be more generic issue.

crypticus I've read your other thread. Well i can 100% replicate the error in the VM with the preset above. It always fails on the Display Settings. I've tried several other places and even installed some additional SW in the test VM, no crash/failure.

I guess i'll start reverting the changes in the preset to narrow down the source of the issue...
its great if you have %100 replication rate. then nuhi may solve it finally? maybe nuhi can cross check with my preset to see because i only have that error randomly. there must me something wrong with mine too.

i'm really looking forward for this fix

Attachments

• Windows 11.xml
    17 KB
Wild guess (comparing presets): On your running install, change Settings to allow Windows to track recent app activity.

Wild guess (comparing presets): On your running install, change Settings to allow Windows to track recent app activity.
I Just reverted all of the "Components" settings (leaving all other areas customized, so activity tracking is disabled) and the issue is gone. So it is one of the removed Components causing this. I'll keep digging...

Try removing 'containers' and see if it breaks. UWP apps have weird dependencies as we've seen from NVIDIA control panel.

garlin I've re-activated that together with the dependent VBS and it is still the same issue.
Anyway after few VM iterations i can say it is something else from within the System sub-section for sure. If i re-enable all of the stuff there the error is gone. I have ~30 un-checked options so lets see which one is the guilty one ...

Try to keep 'Windows Push Notifications', 'AutoPlay' and 'Windows Biometric Service'.

I compared my preset with yours, mine removes a lot more stuff without getting these problems and these are the most problematic components that I keep and you remove.

garlin I've re-activated that together with the dependent VBS and it is still the same issue.
Anyway after few VM iterations i can say it is something else from within the System sub-section for sure. If i re-enable all of the stuff there the error is gone. I have ~30 un-checked options so lets see which one is the guilty one ...
you are doing great thank you

nuhi crypticus I found the guilty component. Removing "Shared Experiences" causes the "Unknown software Exception". Or at least the one i am facing in Win10 21H2 -> Display Settings.

I am attaching two presets which are identical except that one component.
Win10_Test2_BAD.xml - Shared Experiences is removed and the Unknown exception is thrown in Display settings
Win10_Test13.xml - Shared Experiences is kept and no error appears

I've checked the Win11 preset of crypticus from his thread but i don't see such component marked for removal. So either it is named differently in Win11 OR the checkbox removes something extra under the hood causing the issue. But i think that is on nuhi to figure out the exact thingy.

Let me know if you need more info or to test something...

Oh and by the way THANKS A LOT nuhi for amazing work on the NTLite project...

Attachments

• Win10_Test2_BAD.xml
    42.2 KB
  • Win10_Test13.xml
    42.1 KB
I'm using local account. i don't remove Shared Experiences so i assume something under it causes the issue for me. i hope nuhi can also find it.

also thats why mine doesnt crash at display part....

I also succeded creating error with %100 rate. now i will debug my own preset and find 2nd cause of the same memory leak problem.

Back