Windows 10 1809 Services

JamessJ

Hello, I am creating my system and I have managed to reduce the size from 4gb to 2gb, a fair and exact size, but now I have a small inconvenience. I use this.reg to deactivate the services in the background and keep 37, but when I add it to

ntlite
the configuration of the system is corrupted customization among more are more than 100 services that it deactivates and to find what causes the error it would have to create and test more than 100

isos
I have 26. If anyone knows which are the services that cause this problem, I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• Services_Disable.reg
    22.2 KB
I think there's too many issue to list, on my first glance. What I would do is take a clean, untweaked version of your 1809, unplug from the internet, reformat and install windows, then once you get to the desktop reboot into safe mode and then write down all the services that are running while in safe mode. You will then need to remove those services from your disabled list, at least temporarily until you can get things working, then you can try to optimize further.

On another note, since I saw your other thread and I know you're using 1809 for gaming, I would suggest taking a look at 21H2 instead. There's a lot of misinformation about gaming performance on the editions of Windows. Most of it has to do with the timers (TSC, HPET, etc) and a lot of people are getting that stuff wrong, or misleading. The other hugely concerning thing is almost nobody provides any actual benchmarking, I've seen all the videos by guys like Fr33thy, and read all the articles that are copy/pasted everywhere, and after tons of boolean searching on Google with lots of different keywords I can't find good evidence that many of these people have done anything other than just testing it by how it "feels".

There's a really good article and an HPET benchmark program here:
https://www.overclockers.at/articles/the-hpet-bug-what-it-is-and-what-it-isnt

And here's a 90 page thread that has been going on since 2012 to Present:
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/another-look-at-hpet-high-precision-event-timer.368604/page-90

Most of it boils down to bugs, whether it's bugs in the OS, or bugs in the motherboard, etc. Any tweak that results in "tremendous improvement" is almost guaranteed to be the result of just being a workaround for a bug that the user was experiencing, even if unknowingly.

21H2 has a lot of bug fixes over 1809, and even the "game mode" has been gutted and redone between these two versions for example.

The Spectre and Meltdown fixes are a part of why people are confused about the timer stuff too, alongside changes to the timer frequency reading that people see now "10mhz" vs the old "lower" reading, but that is discussed in more detail in the article above.

Anyway, I myself am first and foremost a gamer, and I'm currently tweaking a 21H2 for gaming. Something you will need to consider as a gamer is that for whatever reason(s) a lot of companies are now forcing users to upgrade from older Windows. Battle.net for example forcibly patched out older windows like XP from playing games that are built for that OS even, and anit-cheat software is starting to force people to move on from 1809 as well. So even if you get 1809 all perfect to your liking, it's possible the game(s) you want to play won't even allow it in the near future, especially now that Microsoft publicly announced it is rolling out 21H2 to Windows Update and will eventually start forcing everyone to update, which means these other gaming companies will start following suit.

Last edited:
I have in mind that something like this can happen and that old versions of windows 10 do not have much time left to live but I would like to start with 1809 and then 20h2 once I finish 1809 I will upload a video to my channel showing a bench with others systems
On another note, since I saw your other thread and I know you're using 1809 for gaming, I would suggest taking a look at 21H2 instead. There's a lot of misinformation about gaming performance on the editions of Windows. Most of it has to do with the timers (TSC, HPET, etc) and a lot of people are getting that stuff wrong, or misleading. The other hugely concerning thing is almost nobody provides any actual benchmarking, I've seen all the videos by guys like Fr33thy, and read all the articles that are copy/pasted everywhere, and after tons of boolean searching on Google with lots of different keywords I can't find good evidence that many of these people have done anything other than just testing it by how it "feels".

Most of it boils down to bugs, whether it's bugs in the OS, or bugs in the motherboard, etc. Any tweak that results in "tremendous improvement" is almost guaranteed to be the result of just being a workaround for a bug that the user was experiencing, even if unknowingly.

21H2 has a lot of bug fixes over 1809, and even the "game mode" has been gutted and redone between these two versions for example.

The Spectre and Meltdown fixes are a part of why people are confused about the timer stuff too, alongside changes to the timer frequency reading that people see now "10mhz" vs the old "lower" reading, but that is discussed in more detail in the article above.

Anyway, I myself am first and foremost a gamer, and I'm currently tweaking a 21H2 for gaming. Something you will need to consider as a gamer is that for whatever reason(s) a lot of companies are now forcing users to upgrade from older Windows. Battle.net for example forcibly patched out older windows like XP from playing games that are built for that OS even, and anit-cheat software is starting to force people to move on from 1809 as well. So even if you get 1809 all perfect to your liking, it's possible the game(s) you want to play won't even allow it in the near future, especially now that Microsoft publicly announced it is rolling out 21H2 to Windows Update and will eventually start forcing everyone to update, which means these other gaming companies will start following suit.

JamessJ Going through 3 versions of the os you are making a lot of work for yourself, i would take Hellbovine's advice and go straight to 21H2. 1809 is EOL and LTSC isnt for mortals so software makers wont be supporting it. They'll always concentrate on ms's latest monstrosity.

Last edited:
JamessJ Going through 3 versions of the os you are making a lot of work for yourself, i would take Hellbovine's advice and go straight to 21H2. 1809 is EOL and LTSC isnt for mortals so software makers wont be supporting it. They'll always concentrate on ms's latest monstrosity.
Thanks for the advice but I've been working for a few months to just leave it I'll finish 1809 and I'll never modify that version again when I'm done I'll share the iso so you can take a look

Hes a gamer and he knows his onions, im not. Share your preset, i can usually find something new in every new project or a different point of view :).

After creating 4 more isos, I have not been able to reduce the background processes, the previous .reg file lowers them to 36, which is how I normally use them, but in a virtual machine the search bar is broken and the entire appearance of windows 10 is broken. effective method to reduce the processes without causing the aforementioned errors ?

Windows Search, Cortana, the Start Menu, and more, are tightly integrated with each other in older editions, once you start uninstalling those components or stuff related to them (or disabling their services) they'll all start to break in some way. The reality is most people's NTLite isos are technically very broken/bugged, it's just what those people feel they can turn a blind eye to and live with, or without in these cases. And that's not NTLite's fault, rather it's because Microsoft does not build their OS to be modular, which is rather silly from a QC standpoint because it would be easier to debug/fix/upgrade modular apps/services/etcetera. But considering the fact that Microsoft fired their QC team I guess that tells us how they feel about that...

The 21H2 I'm working on I plan to release to the public as a general consumption ISO that has no broken features, but is optimized and debloated, so that everyday users, workplaces, and gamers can have a more friendly OS to use. The reason I bring this up, is because I've come to learn with Windows 10 (since Windows 8 actually) that everything is so tightly integrated together that you can in many ways accomplish a lot more by tweaking what exists, rather than uninstalling it. In other words that usually means just using registry keys to optimize or disable things.

My point is, there isn't just going to be one or two things you can revert and magically it's all working again. You've really gutted the OS from what I see in that .reg, and the facts are when you're *that* slimmed down, a crap ton of stuff is gonna be broken. Period.

You'd be better off whittling away from a fresh iso, cutting down a few things here and there, testing it, cutting more, testing it, repeat, rather than taking a hacksaw to the middle :p

Last edited:
Something to think about a little, which I've considered too, is maybe trying out SteamOS in place of Windows entirely, for gaming. It depends on what games you play of course, if they support it, but quite a few games do nowadays, and with the recent release of the Steam Deck and them going through and manually verifying every game in their catalogue, that will hopefully spur a lot of developers to release some patches for games to add or bring up the Linux support to compete with Windows better. Just something to think about and maybe try out one day. I haven't had the time to give it a shot myself and see how the frame rates and stuff are, but I've been wanting to.

And for everyday bills and responsibilities a Chromebook can accomplish all those tasks easily.

Last edited:

if you move your gaming to Geforce now you can use whatever operating system you want,in my case I switched to Chrome OS. Couldn't be happier.

The cloud services will work for a lot of games, but there will be a number of categories that will never work well on that platform, such as competitive first person shooters or real time strategy games. For casual players it'll be fine if they have good internet, but cloud stuff adds way too much latency and other related delays and input lag into those kinds of games.

I play dota 2 and gained a significant advantage using Geforce so it comes down to how good your IP service is.so much so I'm above 7.4 up from 2,.1k MMR just by switching,the days of using windows and even buying hardware have come to an end.
You take gaming to the cloud do you even need windows anymore,I know I load Chrome OS to browse.

I play dota 2 and gained a significant advantage using Geforce so it comes down to how good your IP service is.so much so I'm above 7.4 up from 2,.1k MMR just by switching,the days of using windows and even buying hardware have come to an end.
You take gaming to the cloud do you even need windows anymore,I know I load Chrome OS to browse.
Windows is the most compatible current system that exists for modern games and apps, it cannot be surpassed by another

Yeah it all just depends on the person and their interests. There's definitely no one best solution since everyone is different, the vast majority of people who play games though won't really notice any negatives by switching from a console or PC to the cloud, because most people aren't sensitive to frame rate fluctuations, input lag, etcetera. It's really only the guys that are trying to get rock solid frames of 125 or 333 or whatever the sweet spot is for their game, plus low input latency hardware, low frame response times, DPC latency, and so forth. Most of my friends couldn't tell you the difference between a high-end PC using an optimized OS versus a potato laptop, they're still just gonna get something like a 1 to 2 kill ratio at best :p (10 kills 20 deaths)

On the other hand, guys that are being competitive and are sensitive to these things (The difference between a regular $5 logitech mouse with 125hz polling versus a mouse using 1000mhz is night and day for example) it's not the hardware and optimizations that make the people "better", rather it unlocks these people's full potential and let's them see what they are capable of. I've run the entire gamut of this concept, I grew up with 4 other brothers and sisters and all we had was a potato computer and I got into competitive gaming with Call of Duty 2 and then as I got older I got progressively better hardware, and learned how to tweak the OS and game configs, etcetera, and there's just no way you would catch me ever playing a call of duty game on an Xbox or PlayStation, Laptop, or other potato device today. It just doesn't compare. But we're the minority, the reality is most people don't really care and just want to login, kill a few things and logoff. This is why the mobile gaming market has absolutely exploded and is decimating PC markets, because casual gamers far outnumber PC master race type mentalities.

Last edited:
Windows is the most compatible current system that exists for modern games and apps, it cannot be surpassed by another
I agree,Nvidia use windows 7 to run each server,all I'm saying is windows is no longer required for the end user to game,I now stream to my Chrome OS installation. Windows 11 will be the first os that I won't build a machine for. The 2.5k I will save pays for Geforce for the next 25years.

I agree,Nvidia use windows 7 to run each server,all I'm saying is windows is no longer required for the end user to game,I now stream to my Chrome OS installation. Windows 11 will be the first os that I won't build a machine for. The 2.5k I will save pays for Geforce for the next 25years.
Yeah I have no interest in Windows 11 either, it'll easily be another 2 years at least, until it's mature enough to even consider. Most big companies nowadays are blatantly releasing products and even games in their Beta, and sometimes Alpha stages, and it takes a solid year or more before they have basic bugs worked out, and mature drivers.

This will especially be compounded by the fact that Windows 10 is going to stop receiving "feature" updates, which is actually a good thing, because all this "feature" is just garbage bloat none of us want anyway, and so Windows 10 will eventually become sort of like a new, crappier windows XP/7 and just continue to get bugfixes, and only 1 time per year updates (Microsoft changed to a new policy now, 2nd half of each year will receive a new version ISO), and it will be easy enough to just download the new ISO once per year, apply your NTLite tweaks and reinstall Windows on your gaming PC and get back to gaming.

Yeah I have no interest in Windows 11 either, it'll easily be another 2 years at least, until it's mature enough to even consider. Most big companies nowadays are blatantly releasing products and even games in their Beta, and sometimes Alpha stages, and it takes a solid year or more before they have basic bugs worked out, and mature drivers.

This will especially be compounded by the fact that Windows 10 is going to stop receiving "feature" updates, which is actually a good thing, because all this "feature" is just garbage bloat none of us want anyway, and so Windows 10 will eventually become sort of like a new, crappier windows XP/7 and just continue to get bugfixes, and only 1 time per year updates (Microsoft changed to a new policy now, 2nd half of each year will receive a new version ISO), and it will be easy enough to just download the new ISO once per year, apply your NTLite tweaks and reinstall Windows on your gaming PC and get back to gaming.
Dude by chance you know how to deobfuscate a .bat file

Back