Windows 10 custom ISO problems

OBSVNDZ

I needed to create a custom build of Windows 10 that was close to LTSC as possible. So I removed and blocked a few components and settings that are detailed in the XML file. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what service or component is responsible for these 2 issues that I've been having : the context menu, which is the one that appears when I right-click on the start button, does not show at all. Plus, the File Explorer dissapears from the taskbar and I have a lot of trouble pinning it back on the taskbar.
I created a number of builds to try and guess what the issue was. Unfortunately, I could go as far as just removing the apps that I wanted and the OS was still working fine.
Can anyone tell me the component(s) or service(s) that I have to leave untouched for these 2 issues to dissapear? Thank you.

Using NTLite 2.0.0.7705

Attachments

• Settings.xml
    10.7 KB
In my view of your file, doesn't nothing that can make file explorer disappear from the taskbar and that cause the issue with context menu. May you have the full components removed? or this is the preset you use for remove the stuff you choose to remove?

Obs: I see here that you're disabling the Internet Explorer, you had try to keep the IE and them disable manually after install windows? If not, try this because IE is a part of the core of W10 and microsoft doesn't provide a safe way to remove it without break something in windows. To achieve this, I had to use WinReducer (which are not the focus here but anyway this is a workaround) so I remove everything related to IE and them disable in features there, so windows will not show any issues.

The XML shows the stuff I chose to remove. I used an original ISO from Microsoft downloaded with the MediaCreationTool20H2. After letting NTLite convert to WIM the necessary files, it proceeded with the removal of the components I selected. Then I went on testing the new ISO with VMware Player and I don't have access to that context menu and the File Explorer dissapears from the taskbar. Clearly I selected something or disabled something that I shouldn't have. If the configuration in the XML is correct, then maybe NTLite is removing or disabling something else without my knowledge. Could that be it?

The XML shows the stuff I chose to remove. I used an original ISO from Microsoft downloaded with the MediaCreationTool20H2. After letting NTLite convert to WIM the necessary files, it proceeded with the removal of the components I selected. Then I went on testing the new ISO with VMware Player and I don't have access to that context menu and the File Explorer dissapears from the taskbar. Clearly I selected something or disabled something that I shouldn't have. If the configuration in the XML is correct, then maybe NTLite is removing or disabling something else without my knowledge. Could that be it?
Maybe, not sure. Did you test without disabling IE?

Maybe, not sure. Did you test without disabling IE?
No, I didn't think IE would have an impact on those features. I mean, why is IE necessary in showing the context menu when I right-click on the start button? And how does it affect the File Explorer showing or dissapearing in the taskbar?

No, I didn't think IE would have an impact on those features. I mean, why is IE necessary in showing the context menu when I right-click on the start button? And how does it affect the File Explorer showing or dissapearing in the taskbar?
I don't know but when I completely remove or disable IE, using W10 LTSB I got some problems searching and got some icons missing. So , I don't know which impact has in the latest builds. Maybe nuhi could provide some information that can help :)

I don't know but when I completely remove or disable IE, using W10 LTSB I got some problems searching and got some icons missing. So , I don't know which impact has in the latest builds. Maybe nuhi could provide some information that can help :)
I will test it out to see if it changes something.

Hi,

I tried your preset from this topic and cannot replicate the issue.
Are you sure nothing else was done to the image prior or after?
Other than that, Services are always tricky to disable, try without disabling any.
The removals seem fine.

Let me know if you have any clue what could be different, maybe try the same image prior editing first, see if something else is done to it.

Back