Windows 10 Missing Sleep Button

capnp-kuiper

Hey guys, I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't for the life of me figure out what in my preset is causing the sleep button to be missing from the start menu. I've attached my preset to this post; any help is much appreciated!

Note that I haven't modified services or policies at all. I only removed some components, none of which immediately seem like they would remove the ability to sleep.

Attachments

• Auto-saved d88a73be.xml
    15 KB
There's nothing here that would remove the Sleep button. Do you have any reg tweaks, or power plan changes applied after install?

Thanks for taking a look garlin. It's a clean install otherwise; no reg tweaks, power plan, etc.

Notably, I just loaded a windows 10 iso with no mods at all, and the sleep button is still missing!

I had played around on this machine with other heavily moded iso's previously though.. is it possible that there is some state that persists across installs such that the earlier installs effected the sleep button on the following installs?

Knowing now that I can't seem to get the sleep button to show on any install, I'll try to recover the button on a clean image then try loading an image with my preset again and see if the button persists.

Does your PC need ACPI or power management drivers? Newer PC's have the "Modern Standby" power model, so they don't sleep like your older PC's used to do.

Ahhh, I had been so carried away with installs I hadn't even thought to run updates (insert disappointed emoji)

After running updates (presumably including the drivers you mentioned), the sleep button had appeared.

Sorry to take time on a pretty silly problem, but perhaps this will help someone else later on: tldr; if you're missing the sleep button on a fresh install, ensure you have your drivers up to date.

Thanks again garlin for the help

To add on in case it helps anyone else searching for this problem--you have to specifically install the *display driver* before some sleep features have full functionality. I noticed this while testing various things a while back. Open a command prompt and type "powercfg /availablesleepstates" without quotes, and it will tell you what your Windows and Bios together are currently capable of.

After installing the display driver and rebooting, run the powercfg command again and the features will have changed. Something to be aware of, is that Windows automatically starts downloading a display driver as soon as the computer has internet and has reached the desktop for the first time, which is why it's easy to overlook this issue since that scenario describes the vast majority of all computers. If you are offline, add a reg key to stop the downloading of drivers, or disable Windows update entirely, then it's easier to notice.

Back