winload.exe MIA?

Ceyarrecks

Excuse me Please:

May I ask for some assistance?

I do NOT know where or how "winload.exe" is getting removed!
Yet on the initial boot from the newly created image, I receive the following error:

Windows failed to Start.
File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
Info: ... could not be loaded ... missing or corrupt.

I purposefully read EACH of the entries prior to their removal.
None list this executable.
Might I ask which feature/component this executable resides under?

Thank you kindly for any assistance in this.

You need to have the full dir source and mounted to create a iso.

If you have (added to NTLite and) mounted the wim image only and after processing it, created the ISO, then there is the issue, use the full source.

I apologize,... I do not understand what you just typed.
I, one. copied the *ENTIRE* OEM disk to a folder on the hard drive.
I, two. had NTLite do whatever it does to that folder as its "source."
Three, I experience said error.
Which I find I am still lacking in understanding where this error comes from and where in the NTLite User Interface does it detail the removal of "winload.exe."

Ceyarrecks I have had a look on my w7 system. Winload.exe and related files are in the following locations,

C:\Windows\System32\winload.exe
C:\Windows\System32\Boot\winload.exe
C:\Windows\System32\Boot\en-US\winload.exe.mui
C:\Windows\System32\en-US\winload.exe.mui
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..environment-windows_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.23677_none_c7aa2d2abcb5ef11\winload.exe
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..vironment-os-loader_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.23677_none_b99850329c923140\winload.exe
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..os-loader.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.23677_en-us_d50a500613ef276b\winload.exe.mui
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..t-windows.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.23677_en-us_7aee8eb460149b4e\winload.exe.mui

By the look of it you have loaded the entire extracted folder, not the install.wim in isolation. Get the latest ntlite version.

Open ntlite and load your image. Go to Components, Toolbar - Compatibility options(top left hand corner). In the window that opens up, on the right hand side you can protect any file you specify, type in \Windows\System32\winload.exe press ok, then enter in the other files listed above.

Even if a file is queued for removal it is Protected and wont be removed. Hopefully is justa bug you got.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    60.6 KB
The files would be in the same place in the boot wim though wouldnt they? Boot.wim missing?
Probably, i'm not really sure how or when winload.exe is called but i think it is called from the bcd file and when it tries to call it from the boot.wim, there is not boot.wim.

Ceyarrecks check if there is boot.wim in the sources folder and let us know please.

These results may help, 1st two, neowin and winload.exe error upon installing windows 7, 8 & 10 - Microsoft ...

He says its an oem disc, ive never used them, but could it be a repair disc hes got? I cant ever remember having this problem even when shrinking the boot.wim and i went low on that.

Causes of this Error

This error has been known to occur as a result of one or more of the following:

Cause 1: BCD is missing or corrupt

The cause of this error is the BCD that became misconfigured. That could happen because of disk write errors, power outages, boot sector viruses, or errors made while configuring the BCD manually.

Source

Ceyarrecks, hi, thanks for reporting. As replied on your email, please upload your preset (make sure it doesn't have anything personal in it).
We can continue here instead of an email.

Looking at the log, the boot. wim handling does look fishy. Please try to just recopy the .\Sources\boot.wim from the original ISO and overwrite the final image same file and location. Remake the ISO (or copy that to the USB stick), and let us know if it helped.

If it does help, I'm interested how to see this, preset may help, but there was also some manual handling there.

Ok.
Thank you all for the helpful responses.
(I have downloaded and installed v1.6.3.6440)
[and I *DO* have Dell-branded OEM install Disks, which have been made into .iso files]

while attached is the auto-saved session, perhaps an additional set of steps has been added to the NTLite process that I may have missed(?)

case in point, I did a quick search via Google regarding "NTLite how to start", and find another site first loaded an item from Mounted Images/%Image Directory%/Boot/Setup | boot.wim,....
Then after a few steps, loaded Operating Systems | install.wim and proceeded to customize.

In the past, I recall (but might have forgotten an important detail, or three) just loading and working with Mounted Images/%Image Directory%/Operating Systems | install.wim/3. Windows 7 Professional x64, to which I then proceeded through Component Removal, et. al. and lastly created a new .ISO

So, let me first ask, what is the correct process one must use to create a fully functional, yet customized/tweaked/slipstreamed/etc. install-able .iso?
A Step-by-step guide on the full use of NTLite?

Thank you again for the assistance.
CAH

p.s.
I just noticed the Preset/Save options, but this was after I updated to .6440, unmounted, and deleted all the working directory's contents.
I hope the .xml file will serve to answer the needed Q's

You will find loads of useful stuff here as well as links to How To's.
Thank you for the reply; However, after reading through much there-in, I am still lacking understanding, especially how to avoid the above problem.

Does one have to interact with the /Boot/Setup | boot.wim at any time? If so, how/what/why?
(and if this is that vital, why is it not hard-coded that this be the first thing established/configured, then proceed to OS selection and customization?)
Can one just focus on Operating Systems | install.wim/3. Windows 7 Professional x64 and achieve a successful install? If so, how to avoid the above problem?
In not having touched the Compatibility option, it remained in effect with the previous session, I do not know how/why the winload.exe file had an issue,...

So, I am yet standing by for hoped for understanding,...

The only time you need to modify the boot.wim is when you need to add usb3/3.1 drivers to install from a usb device, usb key or dvd drive, that will depend on your hardware. Most users only customise the install.wim.

Do what Nuhi tells you to do or has asked you to do. Nearly everyone uses genuine microsoft install dvds or isos, so i get a feeling your problem may be because you are using a dell iso/disc. Dell customise that iso/disc to add things etc. The other guys have more knowledge than me and they will be able to advise you on which iso to use and how to use your oem key during setup.

while that 'genuine' statement might be applicable for some, I have been using Dell-specific install CDs for years without issue, especially considering all my hardware is never anything but Dell.

I have the most recent version of NTLite, I will purposefully re-copy the OEM disk to drive, and make another attempt,... will report back with results,...

I wonder what is your installation media type: USB or DVD?

If your installation media type is USB, there could be chances where the process has damaged the boot.wim.

If he hasnt had any problems before then ntlite is a new variable in the mix so it could be a bug or summat he has done wrong. Even Nuhi said the boot.wim handling looks iffy.

[install media has always been from DVD]
well,... so far, using the .6440 update, as well as Clanger's W7-Lite-v4.zip preset, I have to say that is thEEEEE fastest! I have EVER! installed win7!!!!!!!!!
And a 3.9GB ISO! niiiice!
oooooh how I loved getting rid of all the MicroFlaccid BLOAT!!!! Thank! You! Clanger!
also, I made it a point to md5 hash comparisons of both the iso and the OEM DVD, all files identical between the two of them.
so no concern over corruption there.

Seems I was wrestling with an interesting bug in the previous version.
Thank You Nuhi for the new version and for the guidance.
I am going to continue setup, will report back should I encounter anything catastrophic,...

Back