WinSxS Full Cleanup Needs Full Version Of NTLite?

I currently used NtLite free version and is it normal that when I clean winsxs only cleaned like 500mb something like that or do I need the full version to clean the entire winsxs folder to gain around 9-10gb of free sapace?

Full version includes WinSxS custom cleanup, but I don't understand why you believe it would recover 9-10 GB.

You're confusing WinSxS cleanup with Reserved Storage, which allocates 8 GB disk space for future Windows upgrades. With full NTLite, you can disable it from Settings / Reserved storage or run this command from free edition:
Code:
dism /Online /Set-ReservedStorageState /State:Disabled

maybe some things are better left as is and go with a reduced folder
Full version includes WinSxS custom cleanup, but I don't understand why you believe it would recover 9-10 GB.

You're confusing WinSxS cleanup with Reserved Storage, which allocates 8 GB disk space for future Windows upgrades. With full NTLite, you can disable it from Settings / Reserved storage or run this command from free edition:
Code:
dism /Online /Set-ReservedStorageState /State:Disabled
Okay thanks for the reply

Yes. But when someone claims WinSxS is 10 GB, that's not what we're talking about. Normal W10/11 with everything installed could be 4.5 GB, and you need the unlikely scenario of DISM replacing every single file to double it's footprint to 9-10 GB. So I don't think that's what was being asked here.

The older a Windows release gets, the size of WinSxS increases because updates are cumulative. Therefore 22H2 has a smaller folder to clean up compared to a fully patched 19H2. Monthly CU + NET bloat probably isn't gonna to top > 1 GB for most images.

For the record WinSxS in earlier days could be cleaned fully before W10/ 11 demand replaced (updated) files needed in the folder.

Thank you Nuhi for nail the LCU folder demand for updates returning and make placeholder of Users diskplace.
Don't know how you did it - but a big thumbs up from here!

After updates (official or the pre ones comming in the end of every month) to reduce installed Win install you can choose to run a live loaded NTL image or just run a cmd with this code:
@Echo off
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
Pause
Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Pause

The fact be, Windows 11 after updates will get reduced about 1.2-1.3 GB
The code works better and remove more outdated Windows obsolete files than NTL Update tab with DISM Compatible.
Thanks.

Or after - whats the diffence?
If using health check it will always say something is wrong with NTL strip and replace "sh*t" you think be removed aka WinSxS hardlinks.
So don't see any point what you suggesting.

I see constant confusion with check/restore health advice. DISM repair is based on the assumption that WinSxS isn't corrupted. If that's too late, then checking really doesn't help. The point of checking is to repair files outside of the WinSxS folder damaged by user or app activity.

A corrupted WinSxS can only be fixed by replacing all the bits from a known good source (repair install).

Funny - all i see is from following codes just say my intall is corrupt and a lot of features i removed with NTL come back - and in my optic they can only be replaced from WinSxS folder where every single Windows file come from.
@Echo off
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Pause
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Pause
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Pause
@Echo on
Exit

had the same question, im using free version too, and able to select windows component store (winsxs) but nothing happened at the end and winsxs folder is same size as before, so its a bug ? is it paid feature ?
thanks

had the same question, im using free version too, and able to select windows component store (winsxs) but nothing happened at the end and winsxs folder is same size as before, so its a bug ? is it paid feature ?
thanks
It is necessary to disable Compatibility - Servicing Stack to deeper clean WinSxS. Those files are just needed for Windows Updating, you can also update via Host Refresh or a reinstall as well.

Will add a prompt wizard for it, to avoid confusion.

It is necessary to disable Compatibility - Servicing Stack to deeper clean WinSxS. Those files are just needed for Windows Updating, you can also update via Host Refresh or a reinstall as well.

Will add a prompt wizard for it, to avoid confusion.
i did disable the compatibility still deep clean it not working, and i dont need to update windows, this feature used to remove almost everything inside winsxs, was really useful to reduce the size of iso and installed windows.

i did disable the compatibility still deep clean it not working, and i dont need to update windows, this feature used to remove almost everything inside winsxs, was really useful to reduce the size of iso and installed windows.
OK, then send me a preset to demo 1 component, and tell me the leftover in WinSxS to check for.

Thanks.

How low you can go

index.php

Thats what I mean winsxs folder deep cleanup but in my case always around 400-500 mb only cleaned
From (a rusty)memory, removed all languages except the base en-us(i need en-gb), Updates page select Custom cleanup, disabled all protections, settings.xml
Code:
<DisableProtections>true</DisableProtections>
Cleanout Winsxs template.xml Here

To be honest this will be better done on a captured wim because you will already have all your required updates .net c++ packages and apps/appx already baked in.

Last edited:
clean the entire winsxs folder to gain around 9-10gb of free sapace?
It aint that big, garlin can tell you how to find how big it actually is.

To maximise space saved/gained remove uneeded keyboards languages(and related components, fonts(you have prolly got upwards of 500mb of fonts inside and outside of winsxs), 3rd party published drivers - ie AMD-SAMPLE.inf but not ms published drivers for AMD-SAMPLE.inf, understand?

If you are a building an image for a specific machine+use, ie a laptop for a media player(not a general use machine) you can build by just keeping the target machines drivers(and those whose removal is not allowed, see components notes). By using al the components i have listed here plus the winsxs cleanout preset i posted you will have windows installed(exluding pagefile and hibernation) somewhere between 4 to 5(5.5, a conservative number), more if you remove other components.

That worth buying a license to you? It will be as thin as, or more lighter than most of the "thin/lite" frankenbuilds floating around the web.

Last edited:
Back