Bug report - NTLite mixing up image names/flags/descriptions

ish4d0w

Hello,

I use NTLite to label my images as imagex/dism-capture does not do it for me. As I combine multiple editions into my images, I need to add image names, edition names, flags and descriptions to each image so I recognize each edition. I highly appreciate that NTLite has this feature and it works quite well. Thank you NTLite developers, this is making my life much easier!

However I ran into a small problem that, I believe, could be a bug within NTLite. For me, using NTLite is all about saving time, I love running batch operations, such as integrating many updates, or servicing many editions within an image file all at once. This had saved me countless of hours.

But batch renaming does not work for image edition names/descriptions/flags. If I try to rename another edition within the same image before NTLite is done with the rename operation for the previous edition, NTLite will mix up the data.
For example:
edit.png
I have four editions in my wim file, but they are called img1, img2, ... and I want to rename them to be: (in this order) Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium and so on.
And I want description to be 1. Windows 7 Home Basic, 2. Windows 7 Home Premium , and so on
And I want flags to be HomeBasic, HomePremium and so on.

If I try renaming the first one and I wait until it's complete and only then move to the next one, it's ok. If I'm impatient and attempt to rename the second one while I still see the progress bar for the first one, NTLite will attempt to do both operations in parallel (two progress bars, moving independently of eachother) ,

like in this picture:
prg.png
but the operation will either be cancelled for one of the editions (not getting renamed), or the new data (name/description/flag) not being saved (if it was empty, remains empty), or worse, it gets mixed up). If I'm very impatient and try renaming all four editions one-after-another , I ended up with the first one being called Ultimate , the second professional , third missing the name , and last being home basic

I think the desired behavior should be:
-NTLite not doing these rename operations in parallel, instead queueing the other editions' rename operations (much like it does for the update integration per edition operations), meaning it should go one-by-one, not immediately execute all four operations
-have an apply button so I can enter all four new edition names/descriptions/flags and only then should NTLITE begin working on it
-do them in parallel as now but not mix them up

I tested this with the latest stable version and an RTM image of Windows 7 SP1 consumer media. x64 of course

Host is Windows 11 Pro Education 23H2 (x64 of course)

Last edited:
Hello,

thanks for reporting.

Fixed it in next by not allowing for parallel edits while the other one is processing.

It's too much at this point to implement a queuing system for something so rarely needed.
Alternatively it would be good to have a button to apply changes once, while editing freely before that - but then it complicates with image list refreshes, one would lose changes if refreshed before applied, again not worth it for now.
Keeping it in mind with future expansions.

Back