Components Question (System Apps)

clqwnless

Hello!

What is the difference between dism and dism + custom if you remove components?

And how does NTLite recognize appxs, including system appxs?
I mean appxs, which are in the MountDir:\Windows\SystemApps.
Is there a powershell commandlet to recognize all system appxs,
including those in the SystemApps folder?

SystemApps (or "inbox" apps) are treated as normal Windows components in an image, because Windows considers them as non-removable – unlike any Features capability or Provisioned App. There is no DISM or PS command to inventory them from an offline image.

NTLite can see all Components and Features (hidden or not) and organizes the listing based on general categories. It's doing the magic that DISM can't perform, because it's not supported by the normal Windows tools.

The actual names for the SystemApps packages don't match what you see reported by Get-AppxPackage, so it requires custom parsing on the component metadata.

SystemApps (or "inbox" apps) are treated as normal Windows components in an image, because Windows considers them as non-removable – unlike any Features capability or Provisioned App. There is no DISM or PS command to inventory them from an offline image.

NTLite can see all Components and Features (hidden or not) and organizes the listing based on general categories. It's doing the magic that DISM can't perform, because it's not supported by the normal Windows tools.

The actual names for the SystemApps packages don't match what you see reported by Get-AppxPackage, so it requires custom parsing on the component metadata.
Thanks for the answer!

I found cortana as a package (In windows 1809. Not in 2004+) and deleted it successfully through dism. But finding this package through dism is impossible. It is really hard to find system apps as packages. Now I understand how difficult it was to create NTLite, because it is very hard to create an algorithm that recognizes system apps by components, whose names do not match at least for a little bit

Attachments

• cachedImage.png
    cachedImage.png
    134.1 KB
Last edited:
Back