DISM - Maximum number of instances reached. (W7 SP1 Language Packs)

ish4d0w

Hi,

I'm trying to add two language packs to an untouched Windows 7 (W7) SP1 ISO file (x64 of course) but DISM errors out with "DISM maximum instances reached". I had to abort the whole operation , delete all files and start over.

I'm trying to apply changes to ALL editions at once using the replicate changes - Integration - in the Apply panel. (I mean, I don't have the time to do this one-by-one and if NTLITE has this feature, it should work.)

Attached you will find all log files as well as screenshots.

TRIVIA>
If I do the integration one-by-one, it works fine. With DISM it works with having multiple editions mounted, only with NTLITE is the failure.
Also it appears that multi-edition integration works fine for other types of W7 updates such as security updates. Only language packs fail to integrate across editions.

TRIVIA2>
As you can see in the screens, NTLIte shows only HomePremium is mounted. That is a lie, in fact all editions are mounted in a half-baked broken state, I had to manually unmount them from dism. This is evidenced by the fact that I couldn't delete install.wim as it was still opened by wimedit.exe even after NTLIte was closed.

Can anyone advice please?

Screenshot (69).pngScreenshot (68).pngScreenshot (67).pngScreenshot (66).pngScreenshot (65).pngScreenshot (64).png

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvO8ZV_Ozfu6hJN5eF9OeGApwwhxkg?e=iAUD0K Logs are here

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot (64).png
    Screenshot (64).png
    361.4 KB
I didn't have any problems adding two Language Packs to the W7 SP1 Ultimate ISO, using a W11 host.
Try disabling your real-time security protection.

Attachments

• Windows 11 x64-2024-01-28-22-30-37.png
    Windows 11 x64-2024-01-28-22-30-37.png
    57.8 KB
  • Windows 11 x64-2024-01-28-22-40-25.png
    Windows 11 x64-2024-01-28-22-40-25.png
    54.8 KB
  • Windows 11 x64-2024-01-28-23-29-55.png
    Windows 11 x64-2024-01-28-23-29-55.png
    58.3 KB
Hi,

tested this and also cannot replicate.
Btw all those errors after a failed image process are unimportant in this context, just unload it and start again.

Looking at possible situations, it's a bit weird as it would need to spin up more instances than you have CPU threads, but it should not even try to do that.
How many CPU threads is there on that machine?

Is it repeatable on each fresh ISO recopy?
If so, I am interested in debugging it, we can continue over PMs then.

Hi nuhi

Thank you for the reply! Also garlin thank you too!

Try disabling your real-time security protection.
Sadly I must not do that on this machine but I'll try using isolated VM which has no AV. Thank you for the suggestion!
adding two Language Packs to the W7 SP1 Ultimate ISO, using a W11 host.
Well, that is not my test scenerio. I don't have a problem with adding language packs to a W7 SP1 Ultimate ISO. I can add language packs to any edition. But I cannot add them to all editions at once. (aka multi-edition images ->Apply tab -->replicate changes, ticking all other editions) . In that case, it fails. If I go one by one, applying changes and unmounting the image and the mounting the next, then it works fine.

it would need to spin up more instances than you have CPU threads, but it should not even try to do that.
How many CPU threads is there on that machine?
Interesting! Thank you for that suggestion!
This is Intel i5-10210U, 8 threads (4 cores).

Is it repeatable on each fresh ISO recopy?
If so, I am interested in debugging it, we can continue over PMs then.
I can repeat this issue yes. If I try to create a multilingual Windows 7 installer, using a barebone (untouched) Windows 7 SP1 ISO, and try to apply changes to all editions in the WIM, (meaning NTLITE would mount all the images, write the changes and then save&unmount) then it always fails or corrupt the image to the point it no longer remounts and then fail. If I do it one-by-one for each edition then there is no problem.

But I am no longer sure if this is a bug. It could as well be a limitation of my hardware of AV incompatibility. (I use Norton Security and previously I used Kaspersky Internet Security)

If you're not allowed to disable AV, you can try adding NTLite and its temporary folders to the exclusion list for real-time scanning.

Back