Microsoft Edge, OneDrive, and Defender are still in WinSxS folder after removed

NicknameX47

Microsoft Edge and OneDrive and Defender are still in WinSxS folder after removed (DISM + Custom)
NTLite .ver :

v2023.9.9419

used Image :
Windows 11 Pro Build 22621.2283​

image11.pngimage22.pngimage33.png

Last edited:
The new way MS update Windows 10/ 11.
Every monthly update replace/ update every single file in your installed Windows in WinSxS and therefore NTL have a function named RemoveReinstalls or you can run your preset again on a loaded liveinstall after updates.
WinSxS keep all Windows files and is necessary for WU to work

Last edited:
This might be expected if you kept Servicing Stack compatibility enabled. Some files need to be kept in the WinSxS folder to avoid breaking cumulative updates.

OneDriveSetup is definitely not part of the CU. I'm doing some non-NTLite testing, and it doesn't get re-installed.

OneDrive may be an exception, perhaps it is only installed on a new user's first boot. Have you checked to see if the OneDriveSetup file in System32/SysWOW64 returned? I remember that on older builds of Windows 10 if you removed OneDrive from the WinSxS folder you would get sfc /scannow errors.

Microsoft Edge and OneDrive and Defender are still in WinSxS folder after removed (DISM + Custom)
NTLite .ver :

v2023.9.9419​

used Image :​

Windows 11 Pro Build 22621.2283​

Thanks for the report, the first 2 have a chance of being cleaned, replying below with more info.

OneDriveSetup is definitely not part of the CU. I'm doing some non-NTLite testing, and it doesn't get re-installed.
First a generic reply: we cannot guess what the future cumulative update will update/delta-diff on, so its kept if Servicing compatibility is enabled.

However... to focus on OneDrive, it has its own package that is also removed, so it would be safe to clean it.
Definitely debugging this one, preliminary testing shows something about a language pack ties, this is fixable.
Will reply when done and if it passes the usual testing (SFC/CU/Lang pack update) etc.

Global allowance for WinSxS cleanup of those in their own packages failed on the cumulative update test.
Update ignores previous packages but relies on their bits, so current processing is correct.

However, we can make a whitelist for least possible updates, like OneDrive and Defender signatures, will do for the next update.
Let me know if you see other bigger bits in WinSxS that might not be updated, will also check Edge.

Thanks.

Back