Need NTLite older version to support Windows 10 1511

ish4d0w

Hi,

I need an older version of NTLite to service a very old version of Windows 10, called 1511. (This is the second "release" of Windows 10, only preceded by the RTM build, 1507).

I need to integrate a few updates amongst many other things. For the "latest online updates" I expected NTLite to do the scan and show me the list of packages. But it says "Unsupported build". I'm not sure why it wouldn't be supported since, that list wouldn't need updating anyway. There are no more updates released to it, you could have left it as-is, and maybe added the warning that I do everything on my own responsibility here, as it is an ancient unsupported build etc.

I did a Google search onto this site and found this thread where the guy in there was trying to do something similar. That thread is now closed so I can't reply there but I must say I'm very disappointed at some of the posts there. OP simply asked where can he/she get old versions from, and without asking for context, replier crypticus wrote "another cracker" , blatantly assuming OP is looking for illegal versions of NTLite, something that you guys I don't think had basis to assume on. Old versions are valid for many scenerios, such as working with old builds , and there are many software vendors who leave old versions accessible in archive on their webpage, for good reason. Even computer manufacturers do this with drivers.
Other members like Clanger tried to help and I was hoping for an answer to eventually come but all I found was this.

nuhi since you also replied in that topic, could you please tell me if I can manually add update packages despite the "Unsupported build" message that appears in the "Latest online updates" window? Is that warning only preventing NTLite from downloading updates, or did you also remove additional background checks or anything that is needed to install updates? Let's say I have everything I need on my hard drive already (*.msu files etc) so I don't really need the "Latest online updates" window, it is just something I check if I missed something, because sometimes it seems I do. But I don't want to corrupt the image and this message really doesn't make it clear to me what will happen if I try servicing that build anyway.

In case anyone is wondering what I am trying to do with an image from 2015 , let me just tell you that I'm working with legacy hardware that, for some crazy reason, will not work on builds newer than that. And since this is expensive (and still fully functional) equipment, I keep an old PC in operation for this. The computer is offline, all network cards are disabled, no USB devices are used so it is pretty much safe for what we use it for.

nuhi in case you reply, I also have new NTLite bugs for you, on Windows 11 23H2 builds. I'll make a new thread soon, hope you will check it.

you won't receive any 'latest' updates for that build as there has been none as such since 2018. The 'older' versions are not available through here as they are not supported as in the way microsoft still adds support for the current 'running' OS's. Once those builds pass their EOL, there will be no further support, and common sense says, IF there is no support ( especially 5 years later ) then why carry a dead build along ?

Also, just because you use an old build of NTlite, it doesn't necessarily mean you will get the updates you require. IF as a rule something is labelled as 'unsupported' then it means there is no OFFICIAL way to carry that support on.

for reference -

1511Threshold 2November Update10586November 10, 2015supported until -October 10, 2017mobile - January 9, 2018

I very much doubt Microsoft would have those updates easily available.

NTLite officially supports W10 1511, but the Updates downloader only goes back to 1607.

You can download KB4093109 & KB4054057 from Microsoft Updates Catalog, add manually add them as Updates.

Hi,

I need an older version of NTLite to service a very old version of Windows 10, called 1511. (This is the second "release" of Windows 10, only preceded by the RTM build, 1507).

I need to integrate a few updates amongst many other things. For the "latest online updates" I expected NTLite to do the scan and show me the list of packages. But it says "Unsupported build". I'm not sure why it wouldn't be supported since, that list wouldn't need updating anyway. There are no more updates released to it, you could have left it as-is, and maybe added the warning that I do everything on my own responsibility here, as it is an ancient unsupported build etc.

I did a Google search onto this site and found this thread where the guy in there was trying to do something similar. That thread is now closed so I can't reply there but I must say I'm very disappointed at some of the posts there. OP simply asked where can he/she get old versions from, and without asking for context, replier crypticus wrote "another cracker" , blatantly assuming OP is looking for illegal versions of NTLite, something that you guys I don't think had basis to assume on. Old versions are valid for many scenerios, such as working with old builds , and there are many software vendors who leave old versions accessible in archive on their webpage, for good reason. Even computer manufacturers do this with drivers.
Other members like Clanger tried to help and I was hoping for an answer to eventually come but all I found was this.

nuhi since you also replied in that topic, could you please tell me if I can manually add update packages despite the "Unsupported build" message that appears in the "Latest online updates" window? Is that warning only preventing NTLite from downloading updates, or did you also remove additional background checks or anything that is needed to install updates? Let's say I have everything I need on my hard drive already (*.msu files etc) so I don't really need the "Latest online updates" window, it is just something I check if I missed something, because sometimes it seems I do. But I don't want to corrupt the image and this message really doesn't make it clear to me what will happen if I try servicing that build anyway.

In case anyone is wondering what I am trying to do with an image from 2015 , let me just tell you that I'm working with legacy hardware that, for some crazy reason, will not work on builds newer than that. And since this is expensive (and still fully functional) equipment, I keep an old PC in operation for this. The computer is offline, all network cards are disabled, no USB devices are used so it is pretty much safe for what we use it for.

nuhi in case you reply, I also have new NTLite bugs for you, on Windows 11 23H2 builds. I'll make a new thread soon, hope you will check it.
Mod note: [Removed link] You can DM privately.

I have collected old versions of ntlite. I don’t know if there is anything you need in there.
Or I don’t know if this website can be opened in your country.

Last edited by a moderator:
you won't receive any 'latest' updates for that build as there has been none as such since 2018. ...

Also, just because you use an old build of NTlite, it doesn't necessarily mean you will get the updates you require. ...

I very much doubt Microsoft would have those updates easily available.
Thank you for your reply but I don't think you understood my problem. I am not looking for new updates, I know that there will be no new updates released. I want to integrate old updates, and I don't even want to download anything. I don't care if it is "easily available from Microsoft" or not. I do have all the updates I need already downloaded . I just want to use NTLIte to integrate it and I'm not sure if I can. That warning scares me.
then why carry a dead build along?
Well, I have told you why it will be "carried along". I need that build, and I will use it even if it is unsupported.

NTLite officially supports W10 1511, but the Updates downloader only goes back to 1607.

You can download KB4093109 & KB4054057 from Microsoft Updates Catalog, add manually add them as Updates.
Thank you!!!

Mod note: [Removed link] You can DM privately.
I have collected old versions of ntlite. I don’t know if there is anything you need in there.
Or I don’t know if this website can be opened in your country.
Thank you ! Can you please DM me the links? Some over-eager moderator removed them! I can open any link, I have a VPN , no worries about that.

Last edited:
then why carry a dead build along?
'Well, I have told you why it will be "carried along". I need that build, and I will use it even if it is unsupported.'

I was referring to NTLITE.
1511 is an outdated an obsolete OS compared to todays standards. Whatever OS you use, is entirely up to you.

I removed the link, because it's against forum policy to share non-official sources for NTLite software. You may download the current version, or choose to look for archive.org backups, but under no circumstances can private copies be posted. Please respect the forum rules.

Thank you for your reply but I don't think you understood my problem. I am not looking for new updates, I know that there will be no new updates released. I want to integrate old updates, and I don't even want to download anything. I don't care if it is "easily available from Microsoft" or not. I do have all the updates I need already downloaded . I just want to use NTLIte to integrate it and I'm not sure if I can. That warning scares me.

Well, I have told you why it will be "carried along". I need that build, and I will use it even if it is unsupported.

Thank you!!!

Thank you ! Can you please DM me the links? Some over-eager moderator removed them! I can open any link, I have a VPN , no worries about that.
OK

ish4d0w, I now tried loading 1507 (10240) and 1511 (10586) on the latest NTLite, and no messages about unsupported edition.
What is it exactly that you're loading, which build is it?

Hi nuhi, thank you for your response!
The build version is 1511, 10.0.10586.14.

I had to start over before NTLite corrupted my image just when trying to apply a few updates. Even though the apply process was succesful, no errors reported but the image wouldn't load anymore. Good thing I had a backup.

The unsupported edition error isn't a pop-up message, it's a warning and it's in the "Download latest updates" toolbox, which is broken.

I am manually loading *.msu update packages, I will try again now.
ntliteerrrrr.pngntliteerror.png
The second error was the result of NTLITE servicing the image. I couldn't fix it, and even DISM wouldn't mount the image anymore. I had to roll back to the original version and start over.

There are also updates that NTLITE doesn't like ,even though they are seemingly valid. I'm happy to DM the files.

Attachments

• brokenup.png
    brokenup.png
    12.1 KB
Hi nuhi, thank you for your response!
Thank you for the feedback.

The build version is 1511, 10.0.10586.14.

I had to start over before NTLite corrupted my image just when trying to apply a few updates. Even though the apply process was succesful, no errors reported but the image wouldn't load anymore. Good thing I had a backup.

The unsupported edition error isn't a pop-up message, it's a warning and it's in the "Download latest updates" toolbox, which is broken.
The updates being unsupported in the online downloader was replied above, nothing unexpected there.
The full list of supported updates in the online update list is here (TLDR: starts from Win10 1607).

As for updates handling, it is done like with any Windows, if there is an error, try manually via DISM and see if there is a difference.
If you see that it works manually, highly unlikely, then I am interested in the ISO (pre-edit) and the updates (just which do I download) combo.

I am manually loading *.msu update packages, I will try again now.
View attachment 10986View attachment 10987
The second error was the result of NTLITE servicing the image. I couldn't fix it, and even DISM wouldn't mount the image anymore. I had to roll back to the original version and start over.
As for error 183 during image mounting, that's a weird one, feel free to search on this forum for ideas as it can be various issues with the host.
Please next time it happens, copy aside and attach the %temp%\ntlite.log at that moment to see what could be in this case.

There are also updates that NTLITE doesn't like ,even though they are seemingly valid. I'm happy to DM the files.
KB4022868 and kb4023057 are for Windows Update preparation to upgrade to a newer Windows. Not supported is expected, due to its post-setup nature.
People that want to upgrade would use a newer ISO anyway, and many avoid those updates as they find them intrusive.

Just to confirm, I successfully installed KB4052232 on 10586.0.160426-1409.th2_refresh_clientmulti_ret_x64fre_en-us.esd

Windows 11 x64-2023-12-19-22-54-30.png

Hi guys,
Thank you for your replies & for taking the time to test servicing these updates!
I rechecked, and those two updates are for EDU/Enterprise. The last normal update was KB4052232.
You're right. Thank you. Targeting KB4052232 now. Skipping the other two.

Just to confirm, I successfully installed KB4052232 on 10586.0.160426-1409.th2_refresh_clientmulti_ret_x64fre_en-us.esd
That's great but this is the point where it gets weird. Upon reverting to the initial image, I was able to integrate these updates , at least NTLite wrote "successful" , but the build gets corrupted. It will never mount again. Not even with dism. NTLite corrupts my build. If I integrate the same updates with DISM, it doesn't get corrupted.

As for updates handling, it is done like with any Windows, if there is an error, try manually via DISM and see if there is a difference.
If you see that it works manually, highly unlikely, then I am interested in the ISO (pre-edit) and the updates (just which do I download) combo.
Hello nuhi , once again thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me ! I need your help once more, because I'm afraid I have a problem with NTLite itself. If I do the servicing within NTLite , the build gets corrupted (and will not even mount anymore, cannot re-mount once saved) but if I integrate the same updates with DISM as you wrote, then the image remains valid.
By valid I mean: I can re-mount it and a /scanhealth finds no problems.
I'm posting the logs here: log1 log2
I'm providing you the source WIM file (not full iso, but valid WIM, not corrupt) and the target WIM (corrupted) that NTLite created, the preset I used with NTLITE and the script I wrote and used with DISM. My script is called Up-Patcher and it's here .

I'm sending you the WIM file & other building material in DM. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here although I'd love to have as many eyes on this as I can as this potential bug prevents me from using NTLite.
In the download link I'm sending you, you will find an archive with everything you need to reproduce this problem (I was able to) .

The contents of the archive:
--- source WIM file - verified with dism /scanhealth to be valid, not corrupt. CheckIntegrity is OK
--- DISM preset xml
--- DISM logs ( log1 log2 as above)
--- DISM output WIM (corrupted, will not mount)
--- Up-Patcher script ( here as above) for DISM to integrate the same updates, and more (resulted in a valid and verified, not corrupt WIM)
--- An actual copy of ALL the updates I tried to integrate. Some of these updates are hard to find online. I kept my archives. They are in msu and cab format, they were downloaded from Microsoft's website
and, not included, but if needed, I could also upload the valid WIM that dism created.
Please note that the WIM file is a captured image. It is more or less close to factory state but not an exact match of that you would find on the retail 1511 media. It is an OEM image already deployed to a machine, and validated by DISM. No user content is present, I did my best to remove any personally identifying information . Anyhow please handle the file confidentially , I provide this archive for debugging purposes only to the NTLITE Staff.

As for error 183 during image mounting, that's a weird one, feel free to search on this forum for ideas as it can be various issues with the host.
Please next time it happens, copy aside and attach the %temp%\ntlite.log at that moment to see what could be in this case.
I was able to fix this by using DISM. Logs are attached above. But
KB4022868 and kb4023057 are for Windows Update preparation to upgrade to a newer Windows. Not supported is expected, due to its post-setup nature.
Thank you. These updates are now skipped.

Without understanding what's in your captured image, have you tried NTLite to integrate the same update on a vanilla 1511 ISO? The point is to confirm if NTLite is creating the problems, or your source image is problematic.

I get this is a legacy setup, which needs to be preserved as close as possible. But you need to do a baseline comparison, since it's apples to oranges with a production snapshot which wasn't captured when the system was new.

Without understanding what's in your captured image, have you tried NTLite to integrate the same update on a vanilla 1511 ISO? The point is to confirm if NTLite is creating the problems, or your source image is problematic.
No, I haven't tried that. But my source image is validated by dism (/scanhealth reads ok) and is basically just an OEM image , a 1511 build with some modifications added. DISM was able to integrate updates to it, and NTLITE corrupts it. I need to know what NTLITE is doing to it, that DISM is not.

I get this is a legacy setup, which needs to be preserved as close as possible.
Yes.
But you need to do a baseline comparison, since it's apples to oranges with
You're right. I will try it. But meanwhile I'd love it if you guys would take a look at my wim file.
a production snapshot which wasn't captured when the system was new.
Actually, it was! It is a fresh-baked (well, as fresh as one from 2015 can be) OEM image. Almost no modifications by me, no apps installed, no network connection. Any modification or update was done by the manufacturer. All I did was remove some bundled junk software, none of them critical.
So it is an image of a new system basically. I need to get this image working as it has proper drivers preinstalled, that aren't even available anymore, and many other customizations.

garlin or anyone , could you send me a retail W10 1511 x64 image please? I'm struggling to find one . I have the update files but not the installer. I found this source but it takes forever to download (days) and Microsoft doesn't seem to host this version anymore, not that I can access. Thank you!

Last edited:
Why are you adding multiple versions of same update type?
Right that's a mistake. I am trying to eliminate compatibility issues so I install them in order and I don't even run /Resetbase cleanup for now. But you're right, I should only be installing the latest as they are cumulative.
Nevertheless, this shouldn't be causing a problem, as the Windows Component Store is designed to handle multiple overlapping updates. And actually, this script works with DISM, results in a valid ISO despite the multiple same-type updates. Only in NTLITE it is broken. I will try it without the unnecessary updates though.
and some are the same added multiple times
That's not totally true, those updates are not identical in size. They bear the same number but the Windows Update catalog lists multiple downloads for them and I cannot tell which one I need, there is no log or note attached to them so I install both.
you only need last applicable release for each type
Okay, I will adjust my script.
Thank you for this!
and why not using Enterprise edition?
I don't have license for that edition. I only have access to Home and Pro. This is an OEM image that I am servicing ,for legacy purposes to maintain compatibility with old software&hardware.

Back