No option to select different Window versions after creating my own ISO

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I am new to NTLite, trying to make a slightly debloated (mostly removing telemetry) version of windows. I have been trying to follow multiple YouTube guides and every time I get the same result. Everything seems to work great, NTLite produces a .iso file but when I go to run it something always goes wrong. Regardless of whether I run the modified iso on bare metal or a VM the installer will either show Windows Home as the only install option or go directly to selecting which drive I want to install Windows on, skipping the selection process.

I have used both the iso file that the Windows Media Creation Tool makes as well as the iso file you can download directly from Microsoft to create my modified iso with the same results. Using the unmodified iso does not have the same issue. What am I doing wrong? Why is this happening?

I've attached my xml. Hopefully someone smarter than me can find answers there

Mod update: Redacted your password from preset.

Attachments

• ntlite.florist997's Lite Debloat.xml
    11.7 KB
Last edited by a moderator:
There's a number of YouTube videos out there. While they're mostly correct on the NTLite steps, almost all fail on explaining the logic of why you need to perform them. Let's break down some basic concepts.

When your PC has an OEM license in BIOS, Setup assumes you only want to install the same edition. VM's don't have any OEM licenses, and you will see the full lineup. Create a new file in your extracted ISO folder to override the selection logic:

sources\EI.cfg
Code:
EditionID]

[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

When your PC or VM fails the HW requirements test, you need to follow these instructions:
TPM and SecureBoot bypass in NTLite Settings

The screenshot is a bit old, there's now three Bypass settings for hardware. Pay attention to the part about Apply to boot.wim.

PS. Don't feel bad. All these problems would have happened, even if you didn't use NTLite.

There's a number of YouTube videos out there. While they're mostly correct on the NTLite steps, almost all fail on explaining the logic of why you need to perform them. Let's break down some basic concepts.

When your PC has an OEM license in BIOS, Setup assumes you only want to install the same edition. VM's don't have any OEM licenses, and you will see the full lineup. Create a new file in your extracted ISO folder to override the selection logic:

sources\EI.cfg
Code:
EditionID]

[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

When your PC or VM fails the HW requirements test, you need to follow these instructions:
TPM and SecureBoot bypass in NTLite Settings

The screenshot is a bit old, there's now three Bypass settings for hardware. Pay attention to the part about Apply to boot.wim.

PS. Don't feel bad. All these problems would have happened, even if you didn't use NTLite.
So to make sure I have this right, take the .iso I make (which includes checking "Prompt edition selection" from the Unattended toolbar). Using Rufus put it on a flash drive. Then create a file in the sources folder of that bootable flashdrive called "El.cfg" (that's a lower case L right?). In this file I should put the code

Code:
EditionID]

[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Is there a bracket missing after the word "Edition" but before the I in "ID", so "Edition[ID]"). And then try booting with that?

Sorry, that was a cut/paste accident.
Code:
[EditionID]

[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Write the file sources\ei.cfg (lower-case is easier to read) directly to the USB drive, or copy it the extracted ISO folder's contents before making a new ISO. That should make a multi-edition ISO list every image.

Back