Start Menu gone... hmmm.....

kreemerz

Uh oh... what did I axe that rremoved the start menu?

For some reason, the start menu does not open. I just click on start button and no menu opens up.

I have to reboot using Win L.

Haha.. I think I know you better than that. I was betting on your memory.

I'm using the built in one - (gaming). But did some tweaking ... so it's a mess of tweaks. still sorting it out.

Without a preset , you are making it extremely difficult for us to help you.

Windows 10 or 11? Client.CBS is not needed in Windows 10 for the start menu but there are other components that are.

Some components protected by OOBE compatibility also cause this.

Last edited:
Windows 10 or 11? Client.CBS is not needed in Windows 10 for the start menu but there are other components that are.

Some components protected by OOBE compatibility also cause this.

from all I can gather from previous posts, windows 11

that's all the info given

From an old thread of mine:
Components (tested in version 1909):

- Device Association Broker
- OLE for Process Control (OPC) library
- Encrypting File System (EFS) - Service

When removed any of these components the start menu does not work and also clicking on the system icons on the taskbar nothing is opened (network, sound, time and date, notifications...).
https://www.ntlite.com/community/in...-removing-some-components-w10-1809-1909.1891/

Quick Fix: Check OOBE and Recommended Compatibility (Default is checked) and test without tweaks.

But without the preset and the tweaks it's really hard to know what you did that caused it.

Last edited:
Sorry, it is Windows 11.

I used the preset one titled 'Gaming'.
with my additional tweaks

IF a registry 'tweak' you have added is causing issues with the preset, then you have to understand, without seeing what the preset changes and tweaks you have added, it is impossible for us to specifically help. All we can do is make wild guesses. It will not help you in the long run if you are not willing to help us help you.

you do have to understand, IF there is an issue , then it can be solved quicker IF we know what we were looking at in full.

The default NTLite templates are designed not to break normal features like Start Menu. So it's your tweaks.
When you're ignoring three active contributors by your laziness, then don't expect a quick response the next time you break something...

IF a registry 'tweak' you have added is causing issues with the preset, then you have to understand, without seeing what the preset changes and tweaks you have added, it is impossible for us to specifically help. All we can do is make wild guesses. It will not help you in the long run if you are not willing to help us help you.

you do have to understand, IF there is an issue , then it can be solved quicker IF we know what we were looking at in full.
The only tweaks I used are 2 registry from the Guide here: NtLite Guide (Hellbovine's)

Specifically, it's
6B) "Registry files", select "Reg_1_Power".
6C) "Registry files", select "Reg_2_Security".

These tweaks are strictly modifying the hibernation and power scheme settings. I use them as none of the other modifications I've made in NtLite seem to disable the power/sleep settings. If anyone knows some other method, I will use those. But aside from that, no other preset settings.

The default NTLite templates are designed not to break normal features like Start Menu. So it's your tweaks.
When you're ignoring three active contributors by your laziness, then don't expect a quick response the next time you break something...
:oops: I'm really finding it hard to understand your hostility toward me. Did I cut you off in traffic or something?

You mentioned presets and I explained which preset I used.

The tweaks were things like 'aligning icons toward the left' on the taskbar. and frankly can't remember which other independent tweaks I made over the course of the several months (including the previous posts I've made regarding using this good tool). I can provide those things if I could remember every single one I made. Is there a place in NTLite that shows every single tweak I made? Maybe I could look over that and provide better answers you want.

:oops: I'm really finding it hard to understand your hostility toward me. Did I cut you off in traffic or something?
This is your 5th thread, so we're past the "I'm new to asking questions here". Several contributors have replied to your previous questions, including many answered by myself -- don't be uncool and provide vague answers when prompted.

Some questions are time consuming to troubleshoot, and you need to respect other people.

When everyone says preset, they mean what NTLite saved. While it doesn't include everything tweaked in an image, it's always the most precise record of what was modified, compared to personal memory ("some tweaks"). From the actual preset, an expert can find or exclude the problem in a matter of minutes, and tell you it's something else from your tweaks.

If a user uses the same image customised multiple times by ntlite or other tools(or a mixture of both), cannot or wont tells us exactly what has been done, cant or wont post a preset there is literally nothing we can do, OP would have to start over again from a fresh iso keeping preset and any reg files added and post them. Unless they have something to hide.

I used the preset one titled 'Gaming'.
Did you change something in Compatibility?

The built-in templates in NTLite are designed to be used with most of the Compatibility options checked, otherwise things will break. WiFi support for example is removed by the gaming template if you uncheck WLAN in Compatibility.

I think it's hard for some tweak to break the start menu, unless you also disable some services.

This is your 5th thread, so we're past the "I'm new to asking questions here". Several contributors have replied to your previous questions, including many answered by myself -- don't be uncool and provide vague answers when prompted.

Some questions are time consuming to troubleshoot, and you need to respect other people.

When everyone says preset, they mean what NTLite saved. While it doesn't include everything tweaked in an image, it's always the most precise record of what was modified, compared to personal memory ("some tweaks"). From the actual preset, an expert can find or exclude the problem in a matter of minutes, and tell you it's something else from your tweaks.
This was an educational moment for me.

I didn't know I was given a certain allotment of posts. My reasons to post: to get a question answered, get some guidance, and perhaps help others with their experience. I do threads in hopes to share and exchange with the community. And hopefully it will help my experience with the tool even more so. I enjoy the tool. It's pivotal and remarkable.

My answers being vague were not intentional. In fact, when I used the word 'preset', I was referring to the built in templates. So my apologies for that. My miscommunication was not intentional. But that is in no way meaning anyone is being "lazy". This is just mere miscommunication that can sometimes occur.

Back