Two-Pass Driver Integration Mode / Boot.wim Bloating / Error 0xc000017

Kaylx_ as promised:

NT Lite Version [v2.0.0.7797]

If I run my builds as a single-pass, integrating all of my drivers (Sound, Input, Video, etc.) unnecessarily into Boot.wim, I observe a growth of my Boot.wim from 382mb to 2,780mb (almost a 10x)

It gets to be so big, that older computers with less than 16gb of RAM , during boot from UEFI, an old ambiguous friend returns from the past:

Error code [ 0xc000017 ]

1617083833811.png

1617084596630.png

Last edited:
where did you put those drivers, into setup or pe?
Setup; I'm deleting PE per the previous threads.

FYI I'm observing this in NT Lite Version [v2.0.0.7797]

With v1809 LTSC Ent 64bit environment, and winsvr 2018/entLTSC v1809 target OS (as per XLS)

dont put audio and video drivers into boot.wim/setup. what you do add is any usb/sata drivers and anything basic for a laptop, i dont use a laptop so i dont know what they would be. its not a good idea to add audio/sound drivers to the install wim either because they get updated regularly, add audio/video driver installer to Post Setup, they will be installed using Setupcomplete.cmd and inside the $OEM$ folder.

Right, if I didn't have a work-around, I'm beginning to think that, strategically, its better to handle drivers (and firmware) as a series of post-install scripts.

For offline/air-gapped environments, without WSUS or Windows Update, its 50/50 where to do it.

I'm thinking to write a series of PowerShell scripts that evaluates the return value from:
Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_Desktop | Select-Object -ExcludeProperty "CIM*"

And based on Regular Expression matching, launches a series of Driver Installs and Firmware Updates in unattended mode.

Of course, all of thoses drivers and firmware files need to be contained in a filesystem or possibly a self-extracting executable zip/rar which gets called by Setupcomplete.cmd and inside the $OEM$ folder

some drivers, not all in Post Setup or post logon. usb sata(F6 floppy) lan nvme laptop kb/rodent(trackpad) intel me(driver only) are fine to go into an image because they are small, even a bunch of them is ok. audio video combined are over 1GB at least(if extracted from setup) so they are best done using setupcomplete or post logon using a script etc. NTLite will copy any installers added from Post Setup to $OEM$, when you know where that is you can quicky swap to new driver versions but double check they have the same file file name, you can add new ones without loading the image then. i still work with bats/cmds because they do what i need and powersmell(sic) is too complicated and not worth learning.

Last edited:
Back