Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration

cmnov

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to create an automated windows 10 installer in order to make easy reinstall/deploy my systems. At the end of the installation process I'm getting the error "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration".

I'm testing the deploy in a Workstation DELL T5820. This is my first time using the ntlite, see attached my preset and log files. I tried to watch videos and search for a solution on the forum, I saw some things about secure boot, UEFI and oem activation that could be getting in the way, but I couldn't solve it yet...

See attached my current preset, the error screen and log files.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• win_custom.xml
    8.4 KB
  • Windows_Deploy_error.jpg
    Windows_Deploy_error.jpg
    118.1 KB
  • NTLite.log
    65 KB
  • setupact.log
    1.2 KB
I ran into the same issue at one time, and I still do not know why, or what I did to solve it...

I am pretty sure it has to do with BIOS configuration though. Just for testing purposes I would try to reset the bios to defaults, then try again. If it still does not work, then go through and change 1 setting at a time, and keep trying, such as disable UEFI boot and enable Legacy, take a look at booting to USB settings, and so forth, just like you mentioned.

One of the things I noticed is there is for sure a bug in my specific BIOS, and it doesn't listen to my boot order that I've set. So try either moving around your sata cables on the drives and make sure they are in the correct numbering order, and also be sure to manually reorder it so that boot to USB comes after your main drive.

Last edited:
This is a classic symptom of a GPT/MBR mismatch where BIOS and Setup's disk partitioning disagree. Check your UEFI doesn't have a legacy compatibility mode (some do), and boot the plain ISO (no autounattend) to check the install disk's layout.

Boot ISO (without autounttend), and stop at the Setup screen -- open CMD window with shift-F10.

diskpart
select disk 0 <-- verify this is the RIGHT disk
clean
convert gpt
exit

Boot the modified ISO, and try again.

This is a classic symptom of a GPT/MBR mismatch where BIOS and Setup's disk partitioning disagree. Check your UEFI doesn't have a legacy compatibility mode (some do), and boot the plain ISO (no autounattend) to check the install disk's layout.

Boot ISO (without autounttend), and stop at the Setup screen -- open CMD window with shift-F10.

diskpart
clean
convert gpt
exit

Thank you Garlin, I'll follow your advices.

diskpart
clean
convert gpt
exit

Hello Garlin,

Following your instructions I did the comand and noticed that the disks already are in GPT. The ISO is working fine withthout the autounttend.
I did a double check on BIOS settings and all option refering to Legacy support has been disable.

Attachments

• Disk_state.jpg
    Disk_state.jpg
    212.2 KB
Thanks for confirming. What is this <InstallTo> line?

Edit your preset in Notepad, and delete "<InstallTo>true</InstallTo>"
Code:
         <ModifyPartition>
                 <Format>NTFS</Format>
                 <InstallTo>true</InstallTo>
                 <Label>OS</Label>
                 <Order>4</Order>
                 <PartitionID>4</PartitionID>
         </ModifyPartition>

Hello Garlin,

I did a new preset indicating just the disk 0 to install the system. Now the installation works automatically. I would stop here but I'm looking for automatically setup de second disk with the partition G: used to save data from an application.

I tried to add the creation step of the Partition G:\ on the disk 1, but in this case the disk setup view shows up. I tried to set the partitions manually and clicked next but got the error bellow.
*Both disks are in gpt
* Attached the new preset and the autounattend.xml file generated by NTLITE

1662574137570.png

Log:

1662575099151.png

Partition schema:

1662575166298.png

Thank you for helping.

Attachments

• autounattend.xml
    5.3 KB
  • Auto-saved 6e5af813.xml
    8.3 KB
Wipe disk for Disk 1 is set to false, Setup won't delete the existing layout.

If you have user data to keep safe, then don't add Disk 1. Windows will find existing volumes by itself.
If you don't care about saving data, then use Wipe disk. Setup is not allowed to run "diskpart clean", so Wipe disk deletes all the partitions it finds before creating new ones.

Just out of curiosity: Where is setuperr.log saved when one is booting from write-protected media such as a Virtual ISO or Optical Disk? Or, is one able to view it, before the system reboots ?

Normally if you press ÖK"", the system reboots immediately.

Some magic key sequence to open a PowerShell within WinPE/WinRE?

When WinPE boots, it creates a temporary RAM disk X:
WinPE Setup writes logs to X:\Windows, until the first reboot. After reboot, Setup writes logs to C:\Windows or C:\Windows\Panther.

Shift-F10 will open a CMD window at any stage, except when OOBE blocks it.

For a fully working PowerShell in WinPE/WinRE, you must integrate the optional PS CAB's from the ADK.

Attachments

• Windows 10 x64-2022-09-12-11-22-41.png
    Windows 10 x64-2022-09-12-11-22-41.png
    31.8 KB
  • Windows 10 x64-2022-09-12-11-23-15.png
    Windows 10 x64-2022-09-12-11-23-15.png
    45.6 KB
What is your disk layout type (GPT or MBR)? Are you trying to converting an existing MBR disk (which doesn't work without following post #3).
Unattended mode can create a new disk layout, but it's not allowed to convert btw disk types.

What is your disk layout type (GPT or MBR)?

Let's assume it's a new out of the box SSD.
And I'll elaborate that my target is going to be Windows 11 on GPT secure boot.
Secure Boot is currently off.
The PC boots fine ot the GPT formatted USB.

Before WinPE can finish the first install pass, several steps need to happen:

1. BIOS correctly boots from the GPT-formatted USB drive.
2. Target disk needs to be labeled (or pre-formatted as) GPT. Your Unattended file may write an optional disk layout.
3. Both the boot and install images need to have driver support for the SSD, especially if it's a NVME model.
4. Install files are copied to the system, and Setup exits by rebooting into the system disk.

One way to check your image is running a test install without the Unattended config. You want to see if your SSD is recognized and gets past the first reboot, when you see the Windows wait animation.

The install gets past all of that. It gets past the copying files. It gets past the installing updates.
What it doesn't get past is the screen you see on the screenshot in the OP. This is the point it would be making the 1st reboot (step 4).
But all of this does not explain why an unmodified ISO from Microsoft will install without issue, but an automated install created with NTLite and copied to a flash drive by Rufus, will fail at the same point.

Check if your BIOS has some UEFI mixed mode, where it allows legacy MBR if GPT isn't found. Usually it needs to be strict UEFI.

I've tried UEFI only, I've tried with various configurations CSM/no CSM.
I can burn a plain Win 11 ISO downloaded from Microsoft, then clear the SSD with the copy-pasta DiskPart procedure or a new SSD or just format the Windows partition and re-install.
It's a NT Lite automated install (FAT32 or NTFS) it will fail.

I've attached the unattended.xml - renamed to log - so I could upload it.

Mod note: Redacted user password.

Attachments

• autounattend.log
    3.6 KB
Last edited by a moderator:
There's no disk layout listed, maybe you've removed a required boot component. Can you attach your preset (MINUS any user passwords)?

I insist on manually shoosing the drive. I never want to accidentally over-write a users info.

Also - as an update, I've inbstalled the latest NT Lite and the Dell I'm testing on seems to have successfully installed.
I was banging my head on this all day yesterday. I should have checked for the update.

Maybe a cooincidence or I dunno. Argh.

Back