YouTube, Discord, and Gmail slow loading on Win 1809 (Verizon FIOS)

Jurnin

So, I've tested different 1809 versions ISOs, started fresh with NTLite and did tweaks. It's not any components I'm removing or anything like that; I've tested it. Currently I'm currently on 20H1 Debloated with NTLite. It seems no matter what Windows Version I use these issues stick with any Custom OSs. I have a default 20H2 Windows that doesn't have any of these issues. I had an older Custom OS that I used and friend that currently uses but doesn't have these issues. When I install my old OS I now get the problems when I didn't back then. I thought it could be something I did in bios recently, I reset bios but issues persisted. I also reset my router and Modem.

Issue #1: YouTube Videos
Videos start out as very low quality
1666759517137.png
When I change it to a higher quality it takes longer than normal to load
1666759638039.png

Issue #2: Discord File Uploading
Any files seem to take abnormally long to process and send, even very small image files
1666759821445.png

Issue #3: Gmail Loading
This one is inconsistent, but happens enough to the point that it isn't normal. Usually anything in Updates Tab; mail takes long to load.
1666759987736.png

I'm really at a dead end and would like any advice on this I can't seem to figure this one out on my own.

Also my Internet Speeds:
1666760244211.png

Seems like network detection was turned off or DNS tweaks set wrongly.
Anyway, why do I need to guess, where is the preset that causes it?

So, I've tested different 1809 versions ISOs, started fresh with NTLite and did tweaks. It's not any components I'm removing or anything like that; I've tested it. Currently I'm currently on 20H1 Debloated with NTLite. It seems no matter what Windows Version I use these issues stick with any Custom OSs. I have a default 20H2 Windows that doesn't have any of these issues. I had an older Custom OS that I used and friend that currently uses but doesn't have these issues. When I install my old OS I now get the problems when I didn't back then. I thought it could be something I did in bios recently, I reset bios but issues persisted. I also reset my router and Modem.

Issue #1: YouTube Videos
Videos start out as very low quality
View attachment 8491
When I change it to a higher quality it takes longer than normal to load
View attachment 8493

Issue #2: Discord File Uploading
Any files seem to take abnormally long to process and send, even very small image files
View attachment 8494

Issue #3: Gmail Loading
This one is inconsistent, but happens enough to the point that it isn't normal. Usually anything in Updates Tab; mail takes long to load.
View attachment 8495

I'm really at a dead end and would like any advice on this I can't seem to figure this one out on my own.

Also my Internet Speeds:
View attachment 8496
Best to try and see if this happens without any NTLITE modifications. If it still happens without them then the issue is something else. This is the main reason I enjoy doing things live with backups just in case I mess up so I can test. Somethings don't show there ugly head till later so testing for about a week is best.

I second all the stuff everyone already said, but I'll give you some specifics to mess with that will hopefully put you on the right path to solving it quickly. I've seen this exact problem often, and it's usually a DNS issue.

Go into your router and change both the WAN and DHCP to a static DNS. I'd try out OpenDNS servers first, which are 208.67.222.222 primary and 208.67.220.220 secondary. Save and reboot the router and the computer. For anyone that's going to reply and talk about no need to set this in both WAN and DHCP, I'm well aware of how it "should" work, but due to bugs in router firmware, as well as on some devices (phones and chromebooks can be troublesome), this will often remedy it when nothing else will.

ROUTER SETTINGS
Potential culprits:

- Use static DNS from OpenDNS, Google, or Cloudflare in both the WAN and DHCP setting.
- Disable IPv6.
- FiOS internet needs 1492 MTU, not 1500.
- Disable Firewalls.
- Disable SIP ALG.
- Enable UPnP.
- For Wi-Fi make sure WMM is enabled.
- For Wi-Fi change the channel or try auto.

ADAPTER & WINDOWS SETTINGS
Potential culprits:

- Uncheck all the adapter bindings, leaving only IPv4 checked.
- Disable Flow Control in advanced properties.
- Disable Green Ethernet in advanced properties.
- Disable Microsoft Defender.
- Make sure the DHCP service is set to automatic.
- TCP Optimizer can cause problems if used incorrectly.

If none of this solves the issue, then it probably is a preset or registry key issue in your customized image, and we'll need you to post that XML file, plus any registry files used, so we can evaluate.

Last edited:
It's definitely IPv6 (when enabled). Jurnin swears it works with clean ISO (Intel I-219V generic driver), and craps out with [mumble, mumble] OEM driver or Snappy-installed ones.

His other friend on Verizon has same motherboard issues.

Ah, I didn't realize there was more context via direct message or something. Well, the troubleshooting stuff is still good for what I imagine will be quite a few lurkers coming to this thread because of the title, as those symptoms are a really common issue for people.

It might be unrelated but sometimes i experience same issue when i'm connected to 5G network then i switch back to 2.4

This is a FIOS firmware issue, it's mangling network packets. When you enable TCP offloading, the Intel driver can't decode IPv6 traffic.
Disable IPv6 or TCP offloading. Or pray Verizon updates their router.

While the ONT (router) has WiFi, no one's using that since the whole point is to get fiber speeds.

Back