Disabling Windows Setup from asking about Cortana

Normally, if you created a Primary user account and skipped everything in Unattended, then OOBE never gets to run Cortana.

1708321295617.png

Don't enable SkipMachineOOBE or SkipUserOOBE on a W10 or 11 install (it's there for legacy reasons).

Well I didn't exactly enable SkipMachineOOBE and/or SkipUserOOBE; they're just greyed out.

Should I leave them greyed out or should I just disable them (put them in red)?

Grey color means the setting is the default (unassigned) value. Just follow the screen's example.

Some users may see outdated advice about enabling Skip*OOBE. It still works, but depending on other settings it can conflict and you end up with partially broken OOBE automation. For troubleshooting, it's always better not to touch those two.

I never touched those two, so for the sake of better OOBE compatibility, I should just leave them where they are and not think about getting post installation to not get to the Cortana screen? True/False?

What I was trying to do is to not get setup to ask about configuring Cortana after installing Windows 10.

W10 Home OOBE starts Cortana in order to provide voice assistance for disabled users.

If your Unattended file has specified all the answers that OOBE normally asks for (language, keyboard, region) and skips the Privacy choices, then OOBE has no unanswered questions and remains silent. That's the whole point of enabling that entire block of settings.

Your language and region choices should be defined in Windows localization:

1708390019887.png

Back