My ISO is Big!

RobertX

The Windows image that I built became a very big ISO!

I think it's time to take things out of it before it becomes unbearable!

What should I strip from it? Where do I begin?

Make sure not to integrate a lot of drivers (especially individual Nvidia INF files, pick only once main inf).
When integrating updates, enable DISM Compatible Update Cleanup in the Updates page toolbar.
Use ESD compression on the Apply page.

If integrating installers, take into account when it comes to ISO size.

I've always been curious as to how NTLite is able to keep the ISO file consistent where as when I complete a similar set of changes on an ISO and just Sysprep + Imaging Tools Environment to capture an image from a Hyper-V machine, I get a huge ISO.

I've always been curious as to how NTLite is able to keep the ISO file consistent where as when I complete a similar set of changes on an ISO and just Sysprep + Imaging Tools Environment to capture an image from a Hyper-V machine, I get a huge ISO.
The reason is very simple. NTLite is editing the uninstalled offline image. Sysprep is capturing a mostly installed image.

Pass 1WinPE extracts install image and loads drivers; preps Windows for reboot
Pass 2Reboot into specialize/audit phases, Windows does more system setup tasks
Pass 3Reboot and perform OOBE, provision UWP apps

While your captured image is far larger, almost all the setup work is completed. The offline image will be smaller, but it will take several minutes to run through passes 2-3. The captured image is ready to run in very little time, especially if you saved some steps by pre-installing applications.

Of course, convert your image to ESD compression to save space.

Back