No internet working on Windows 10 1809

clemsou

Good evening ! I have a question about my short xml file. It disables internet but i feel like i have not removed any network components but i have no ethernet so i dont know why internet does not work. Also device manager is not opening i cannot find a fix :(

Could you help me ? Thank you very much !!

Have a nice day ! :)

Attachments

• try2.xml
    13 KB
Someone will help you with the preset, but as a related note, is this intended to be used for the main purpose of gaming? I ask because just about every time 1809 or some old version comes up, it's because someone is using it for games, and I have yet to see any data as to why. If this is the purpose, could you please direct me to some links or something where I can see why this is being suggested?

Someone will help you with the preset, but as a related note, is this intended to be used for the main purpose of gaming? I ask because just about every time 1809 or some old version comes up, it's because someone is using it for games, and I have yet to see any data as to why. If this is the purpose, could you please direct me to some links or something where I can see why this is being suggested?
just because 1809 is an older version of windows it usually runs more smoothly like win7 vs win 10. I have tried both and feel like i have better overall response time. maybe dpc latency could prove it. :)

You removed all the network drivers included in Windows. Please restore (uncheck) the listed Intel driver.
This image will likely fail on an existing physical PC, unless you keep/integrate all the required HW drivers.

VirtualBox supports the following virtual NICs:

PCnet-PCI II (Am79C970A)
PCnet-Fast III (Am79C973)
VirtualBox guest additions
Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM)
Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)
driver_nete1g3e.inf
Para-virtualized network adapter (virtio-net)VirtualBox guest additions

just because 1809 is an older version of windows it usually runs more smoothly like win7 vs win 10.
Not without major surgery it doesnt. ltsc 21h2 runs fine on a non gaming system but as you are on and tweaking 1809 stick with that but test out 21h2 for later on.

I have tried both and feel like i have better overall response time. maybe dpc latency could prove it. :)
Try a kernel timer tool, set to 0.5ms, run kernel latency checker, default is around 1000μs(microseconds), set to 0.5ms it goes down to less than 100(actual numbers vary) but it still occasionally spikes, as it does on w7. Use mbk1969's msi util v3, set all to msi mode and priorities to High.
They are easily reversed if needed. My results for 1809.

Note - cpu is set to base clock, turbo disabled, the results "may" be worse if cpu ramps its clocks up and down, i havnt tested with turbo enabled.
Be wary of bcd tweaks, i have tried some and they increased latencies :(.

Last edited:
...feel like i have better overall response time....
Please of course feel free to pursue whatever your heart desires, but as a fellow gamer I'd suggest running benchmarks and also looking at task manager on a clean install (not VM, but an actual reformat) of an unmodified 1809 vs a more recent version. Use this guide as a reference (link).

EXTRA INFORMATION
1809 versus modern versions could be placebo effect without any data to support it, and you could be wasting not only your time, but our time too as we troubleshoot your images. What if you find out 1809 is worse in comparison after you spend forever making a preset designed for this old version? It's better to spend a few hours researching this first.

I know it might seem odd to some people since I advocate for an old version too (21H2), but that was because 22H2 initially had numerous bugs at release and it took until about the end of July for Microsoft to iron most of them out on W10. I was not on W10 when it evolved from 1607 to 1903 (give or take), but I have read countless forum and website posts discussing that popular "gaming" period, and from what I can gather there was several huge performance bugs that exist in that era which were later patched out, including memory leaks.

I'm not saying that older versions don't perform better, but there really needs to be some kind of verification. This is why there's so much misinformation on the internet because the masses assume too much without any actual testing. Also, some anti-cheat providers and developers are removing support for older versions of W10 and you cannot run their software on those versions (link). You also lose support for updated graphics drivers and will see bugs if using modern drivers on old OS versions. There's more that can be discussed, but this gives people enough to ponder.

BENCHMARK TOOLS
Here are some free benchmarking tools. Items in parenthesis are the parts they test, while the items in brackets are the recommended settings for running the benchmark, so that everyone is using the same baseline, as the tools intended:

- 7Zip (CPU/RAM) [Settings: defaults]
- CineBench (CPU) [Settings: defaults]
- CrystalDiskMark (Disk) [Settings: defaults]
- FurMark (GPU) [Settings: 1080p preset]
- LatencyMon (DPC) [Settings: defaults]
- NovaBench (CPU/GPU/RAM) [Settings: defaults]
- PCMark10 (Full) [Settings: defaults]
- TimerBench (CPU/GPU/Timers) [Settings: fullscreen 1920x1080 and 640x480]
- UnigineHeaven (CPU/GPU) [Settings: Basic preset]
- UnigineValley (CPU/GPU) [Settings: Basic preset]
- SpeedTest (Network) [always pick the same IP address]
- WindowsTaskManager [processes, threads, handles, memory, startup]
- WindowsNetworkUsage [total and individual components]
- Add your favorite games here and check their FPS counters/in-game benching

Note: PCMark10 standalone download at TechPowerUp, which is not integrated into the Steam gaming client.

Last edited:
Back