Guide: Default Resource Usage

Hellbovine

Below is the default resource usage of a clean install of Windows 10 21H2, without internet during the install process, and without any drivers installed or other changes. This information is needed by people tweaking the operating system so they can compare their task manager to the defaults and see if they are making progress on reducing overhead.

This test computer has 16 GB of memory installed. The memory consumption of Windows will automatically adjust itself and increase in computers with more installed memory and decrease in those with less.

If you are a gamer the minimum amount of memory you should have for Windows 10 is 16 GB, using a lower amount has significant consequences on performance in these bloated operating systems of today's age, especially because games are now using an increasingly higher amount of memory as we transition into 64-bit gaming finally.

Windows 10 21H2 Normal Mode (Task Manager):
CPU Processes: 107
CPU Threads: 979
CPU Handles: 35458
Memory: 1366 (In use)
Memory: 15 (In use compressed)
Memory: 31 (modified)
Memory: 319 (standby)
Memory: 14675 (free)

Windows 10 21H2 Safe Mode With Networking (Task Manager):
CPU Processes: 51
CPU Threads: 673
CPU Handles: 19124
Memory: 965 (In use)
Memory: 0 (In use compressed)
Memory: 51 (modified)
Memory: 228 (standby)
Memory: 15108 (free)

Windows 10 21H2 Normal Mode (Services):
This services list is attached as a PDF for download, named Services_Default_Normal.

Windows 10 21H2 Safe Mode With Networking (Services):
This services list is attached as a PDF for download, named Services_Default_Safe.

Note: in the services PDF files some of the services have an underscore and a number at the end, such as _2b09d and it is important to know that these numbers change, but they are still the same services.

To capture this information I turned off all of the privacy features during the Windows Setup, I waited until I reached the desktop after the install and then I ran the command "rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks". This is a documented Microsoft command that was meant to be used for benchmarking purposes. Basically, it forces the computer to go through the entire scheduled tasks list, plus all of the things waiting in the background that do not run until Windows senses about 15 minutes of inactivity from a user.

For more guides like this one, visit the following link:
https://www.ntlite.com/community/index.php?threads/gaming-lounge.2999/

Attachments

• Services_Default_Normal.pdf
    70.3 KB
  • Services_Default_Safe.pdf
    70.3 KB
Last edited:

garlin

Staff member
To give you an idea of some of the things that happen in the background during this time, it will finish installing Microsoft OneDrive, it adjusts a few thousand registry entries, it runs the Ngen queue cleanup for .NET framework, and then every Microsoft bloatware that has background activity waiting, such as the Microsoft Store, tries to go online and perform their tasks, like downloading Candy Crush and other useless stuff.
This is expected behavior for post-setup Windows.

Ngen is doing the needful. You can disable the service, or run commands to immediately force .NET cache regeneration.
WU is updating all UWP (Store) apps in the background, and installing OneDrive & Teams.

All these conditions are tweakable, and discussed in other threads. There's a lot of onion layers to peel away.

Clanger

Staff member
it was exported using the default tab-separated view
If you Remove Columns and just leave Name and Startup type it will be easier to read.
I usually do either of these, Startup type and arrange type then Name, or Name in alphabeticcal order then Startup type.
Much clearer when you export as a list(.txt).

01.JPG

02.JPG

Clanger

Staff member
Thank you ia_100000060.gif

In return for that here is a little contribution.
dism /online /Get-Features /Format:Table /English >"%userprofile%\Desktop\Features.txt"
dism /online /Get-Capabilities /Format:Table /English >"%userprofile%\Desktop\Capabilities.txt"
dism /online /Get-Packages /Format:Table /English >"%userprofile%\Desktop\Packages.txt"

Clanger

Staff member
Windows 10 21H2 Normal Mode (Task Manager):
CPU Handles: 35458

Windows 10 21H2 Safe Mode With Networking (Task Manager):
CPU Handles: 19124

With no drivers other than whats in a default iso then updated i have seen Handles over 40,000 ia_100000303.gif
W7 and 8.1 are 7-9xxx and 12xxx respectively. Although 8.1 is higher than 7 it can be tweaked down to comparable numbers.

D

Deleted member 8142

My scenario Win10 VM 2004 Latest 1682 Build After 10 minutes of System Idle State without any app in process :
CPU handles : 17K
they increase to almost 25K if i continuesly work with multi apps same time including FF browser too.

Edit : Win10 21H2 Second Tuesday Patch May 2022;)
May 2022 Win10 21H2 Updates

Last edited by a moderator:

Clanger

Staff member
I dont care what the usage is when im running stuff, i care what the os is doing on its own.
On a highly tweaked 1809 i dont even get close to the default numbers when im running stuff, wayyyyy below.
Firefox is a resource hog :mad:

Clanger

Staff member
LTSC 1809 can be brought down to 12xxx handles fairly easily. LTSC 2021 is comparable to 1809, i did compare the two some time back and its here somewhere.

Problem is Windows 10 is a family of operating systems, while you might get 2 consecutive builds like 1809 and 1903 and can use the same tweaks on both 1809 and 2021 might be different enough to class them as different os's.

Last edited:

Hellbovine

I did a lot of Googling trying to find legit ways to buy LTSC, but I didn't really come up with anything. I've heard you can just call Microsoft's business licensing and if you buy 4 total licenses I think it was, you can get an LTSC too. So basically you buy 1 real LTSC for like $200-300 and then 3 of the cheapest licenses for something you don't care about, costing like $50 each, for a total of like $350-450 I guess? Aside from that though the only other approach is to buy a cd key online from vendors that buy in bulk from Microsoft and resell them, and the reality is those keys are all reused, they resell the same keys if someone doesn't register them, meaning a week later after you buy it and install, the other guy who bought the same key can go and register it and now you have problems.

Is there an easier/better way?

Hellbovine

Hehe, I ended up going with Home edition for myself, simply because all my family members are using Home. I plan on sending them all my tweaked ISO once I'm finished, and I figured it would save me some headache by working with the same edition they all have. Plus its the most common version in general, so things like drivers and such prioritize Home over others. Nowadays it's not really an issue, but at one time with older OS it was a thing, you'd have drivers for XP Home, but missing an updated one for Pro or some other problem.

I'd totally pay like $400 bucks though if Microsoft would release an official gaming edition for general consumption, just a Windows without all the bloat. They don't even need to tweak anything for me, just remove all the baked in crap and telemetry.

Clanger

Staff member
Hehe, I ended up going with Home edition for myself, simply because all my family members are using Home. I plan on sending them all my tweaked ISO once I'm finished, and I figured it would save me some headache by working with the same edition they all have.
If you are "the" family tech guy that makes complete sense.

Clanger

Staff member
I'd totally pay like $400 bucks though if Microsoft would release an official gaming edition for general consumption, just a Windows without all the bloat. They don't even need to tweak anything for me, just remove all the baked in crap and telemetry.
They wont so you cant so you are FoL.
I want a basic desktop os without all the glitz and schmitz, im FoL too.

garlin

Staff member
The best option in the US is find a willing SMB (Small/Medium Business) reseller partner. They're willing to work with a handful of licenses.
I will PM you one I used two years ago when ESU pricing got started.