Hellbovine

I noticed while making images that NTLite will perform some registry tweaks silently. For example, if I uninstall the OneDrive component, NTLite will also add in a group policy (GPO) registry tweak that disables OneDrive, in case the component ever returns, such as during a Windows Update. The idea there is to keep the feature disabled in the event its files get reinstalled.

What I want to discuss in this thread is the transparency of NTLite because this concept has actually created some issues for people, since they didn't realize NTLite was setting policies while uninstalling components, and later it caused headaches for them and forum helpers as we tried to figure out what hidden tweak was causing the problem and where it came from.

UPDATE (AUGUST 31ST, 2023)
To increase the transparency of NTLite registry tweaks, edit a saved NTLite XML, look at <Tweak name="Path\Example">X</Tweak> and the part where it says "Example" will contain the registry key name, with "X" being the value that NTLite is going to set. You can then use this information to research that tweak further on Google. While this tip is useful, keep in mind that the GPO in the OneDrive scenario will not appear in the XML, and that is not the only component that NTLite installs a registry key for.

There are more methods to discuss, but the concept I presented in the intro, plus the info Garlin provided in the replies (which I summarized in the tip above) are enough of the important information for newbies and veterans to know about. Anything else starts to get into the territory of reverse engineering NTLite, and that's not something I want to get into since that's not the point.

Last edited:
Thanks to EU privacy laws, it's published but no one knows to read it.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...-windows-diagnostic-data-in-your-organization

Diagnostic data off (Security)Required (Basic)EnhancedOptional (Full)
Diagnostic data eventsNo Windows diagnostic data sent.Minimum data required to keep the device secure, up to date, and performing as expected.Additional data about the websites you browse, how Windows and apps are used and how they perform, and device activity. The additional data helps Microsoft to fix and improve products and services for all users.Additional data about the websites you browse, how Windows and apps are used and how they perform. This data also includes data about device activity, and enhanced error reporting that helps Microsoft to fix and improve products and services for all users.
Crash MetadataN/AYesYesYes
Crash DumpsN/ANoTriage dumps only

For more information about crash dumps, see Windows Error Reporting.
Full and triage memory dumps

For more information about crash dumps, see Windows Error Reporting.
Diagnostic logsN/ANoNoYes
Data collectionN/A100%Sampling appliesSampling applies

Allow Telemetry -> Security/Disabled
Let Microsoft provide more tailored experiences with relevant tips and recommendations by using your diagnostic data
-> Disabled
Personalize your speech, typing, and inking input by sending your input data to Microsoft
-> Disabled

Google search for the tweak name, it's usually the last part of a well-known GPO or registry key.
Code:
<Tweak name="DataCollection\AllowTelemetry">4</Tweak>
<Tweak name="Privacy\TailoredExperiencesWithDiagnosticDataEnabled">0</Tweak>
<Tweak name="Settings\AcceptedPrivacyPolicy">0</Tweak>

These settings prevent Windows from sending personal data, but it won't stop local data collection for Windows' own needs. You'd have to learn all the weird reg keys for that, or disable ETL logging.

Obviously you can't use MS Account for any reason (Store, Office, OneDrive), because it has tracking by authentication cookies.

This diagnostics is another good example to discuss, since it looks like NTLite is trying to use a value that doesn't fit the scenario.

1) "Security" is actually a 0 dword, so "AllowTelemetry" should be set as 0, but according to your reply it tries to set it as 4, which isn't a valid option? <Tweak name="DataCollection\AllowTelemetry">4</Tweak>

2) According to Microsoft the option of "Security" isn't usable by anyone except Enterprise editions. How can I manually check to verify if a version such as W10 Home or Pro, successfully disables the diagnostics feature using a value of 0 versus 1?

Last edited:
I do see what you mean about the XML trick though, I'll look into that going forward (making changes in NTLite, then look at the XML preset to figure out what reg keys it may be tweaking, by imagining the tail end of the text as a reg key and Googling).

Last edited:
1) "Security" is actually a 0 dword, so "AllowTelemetry" should be set as 0, but according to your reply it tries to set it as 4, which isn't a valid option?
"<Tweak name="DataCollection\AllowTelemetry">4</Tweak>"
My bad, clicked too many times. I believe (Policy) is NTLite's shorthand for applying as GPO vs reg key.

Security/Disable = 0
Basic = 1
Enhanced = 2
Full = 3
Security/Disable (Policy) = 4
Basic (Policy) = 5
Enhanced (Policy) = 6
Full (Policy) = 7

2) According to Microsoft the option of "Security" isn't usable by anyone except Enterprise editions. How can I manually check to verify if a version such as W10 Home or Pro, successfully disables the diagnostics feature using a value of 0 versus 1?
  • 0Off (Security) This value turns Windows diagnostic data off.
    Note
    This value is only applicable to Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 IoT Core (IoT Core), HoloLens 2, and Windows Server 2016 (and later versions). Using this setting on other devices editions of Windows is equivalent to setting the value of 1.

You would block the endpoints by Firewall rules.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...iagnostic-data-in-your-organization#endpoints
Code:

Back