Hellbovine

Update: August 23rd, 2023 (Unresolved)

Summary: NTLite could benefit from minor improvements to the Windows Update cache section in the settings page.

MORE INFORMATION
OS: Unmodified Windows 10 ISO, version 21H2, build 19044.1288
NTLite: version 2023.4.9196, default settings

I don't think this discussion played out as I intended, since I think maybe there was some misunderstanding about what I was looking for. I have updated this post to revise the information so that it is more clear. Essentially, I used the Windows Update feature through NTLite and I noticed many days later that the program directory had grown substantially in disk size, and I have some notes on that below.

1) Windows Updates are saved to the NTLite \Cache\Updates folder. According to the hover text inside NTLite's settings page the "Extracted" folder will empty itself every 7 days, but this does not seem to be the case for the "Updates" folder. These files eat a lot of space, so they should probably be cleaned up at some point in an automated fashion too, instead of relying on the user to manually do it. To clarify why this is a problem, I have NTLite installed in portable mode on a secondary drive that never gets reformatted every time I make an image and reinstall Windows. Using this setup will eat gigabytes in a relatively short time as different ISO and testing is done.

2) In the NTLite settings page, next to the "Downloaded updates cache" you can click "Trim" but there's no "Erase" button like there is elsewhere, so that we can easily remove the downloaded updates. If an "Erase" button is added, I would put it side by side to the left of the "Trim" button so that all the "Erase" buttons line up uniformly. The reason this request is helpful is because not only does it match the other similar sections of NTLite, but then users do not have to open File Explorer and navigate to the downloaded updates cache folder and delete the files there.

3) There's a very minor interface typo in the settings page, where the "Edit cache" text has a gray line running through it (strike-through), whereas all other title text does not. This issue was fixed in the first round of communications and is no longer an issue.

Last edited:
I recently used the windows update feature through NTLite (2023.4.9196) and I noticed some days later that the program directory had grown substantially in disk size. After investigating, I came away with the following:

1) Windows updates are saved to the NTLite \Cache\Updates folder. According to the hover text inside NTLite's settings page the "Extracted" folder will empty out every 7 days, but this doesn't seem to be the case for the "Updates" folder. Is there no automated cleanup for the updates folder in particular? These files eat a lot of space, so they should probably be cleaned up at some point in an automated fashion too, instead of relying on the user to do it.

2) In the NTLite settings page, next to the "Downloaded updates cache" you can click "Trim" but there's no "Erase" button so that we can remove the downloaded updates. I think it would make sense to add an "Erase" button here. If you do, I would put it side by side to the left of the "Trim" button so that all the "Erase" buttons line up uniformly.

3) Since we're already discussing the settings page, there's a very minor interface detail to point out. The "Edit cache" text has the gray line running through it (strikethrough), whereas all other title text does not.

Before anyone points out that we can open Windows File Explorer and manually delete everything, keep in mind that these things would add more polish to the program, and they make sense because these exact same features already exist for other directories that NTLite manipulates. Also, it should be fairly easy to add as well since the code already exists.
This reminds me that I should probably go through and do this as well. The only reason I haven't yet is because it tells me which ones I have downloaded and not downloaded.

Makes it easier for me to remember which ones I already did lol

1) Windows updates are saved to the NTLite \Cache\Updates folder. According to the hover text inside NTLite's settings page the "Extracted" folder will empty out every 7 days, but this doesn't seem to be the case for the "Updates" folder. Is there no automated cleanup for the updates folder in particular? These files eat a lot of space, so they should probably be cleaned up at some point in an automated fashion too, instead of relying on the user to do it.
NTLite continues to support W7/8.1 images. Those updates don't expire, since they're both EOL.

One-off updates like .NET 4.8.1 base and Secure DBX don't get refreshed, so cleaning by oldest update doesn't make sense. Maybe what could work is an optional checkbox, to purge the Updates folder whenever you use the Download feature.

Or splitting updates into monthly and non-monthly folders, then you don't worry about wiping one-off updates.

I recently used the windows update feature through NTLite (2023.4.9196) and I noticed some days later that the program directory had grown substantially in disk size. After investigating, I came away with the following:

2) In the NTLite settings page, next to the "Downloaded updates cache" you can click "Trim" but there's no "Erase" button so that we can remove the downloaded updates. I think it would make sense to add an "Erase" button here. If you do, I would put it side by side to the left of the "Trim" button so that all the "Erase" buttons line up uniformly.
That's the one, the Trim option, it will prompt to remove all updates not in the current update list, cleaning the Updates folder (not the Extracted cache which is automatic on non-usage to reduce re-decompressions).
It's true the superseded (obsolete) updates should be deleted semi-automatically. It's planned to add a trim-like button on a more visible place inside the updates selection to speed up the process at least - with a checkbox not to ask for confirmation.

3) Since we're already discussing the settings page, there's a very minor interface detail to point out. The "Edit cache" text has the gray line running through it (strikethrough), whereas all other title text does not.
Oh, missed that, nice catch, will be fixed in next.

Before anyone points out that we can open Windows File Explorer and manually delete everything, keep in mind that these things would add more polish to the program, and they make sense because these exact same features already exist for other directories that NTLite manipulates. Also, it should be fairly easy to add as well since the code already exists.
Thanks for the feedback!

Back