I cannot get OEM Auto Activation working on Win 10 Pro 22H2

benbc7

I set up a custom image for windows 10 pro 21H2 and everything was working perfectly. I decided to try creating a new image for 22H2 so I don't have to install so many updates after imaging, but I can't get the oem auto activation to work. I feel like I've tried everything, I've tried putting [KEY] in the product key (setup) spot, and I've tried leaving it blank. I've made sure that auto activation is on, I've made sure that Windows Activation (KMS) is checked in the compatibility options in components. I have no idea what else to try.

I've attached the config xml files for the original working 21H2 image, and for the not working 22H2 image.

Attachments

• AutoActivation-NotWorking.xml
    6.5 KB
  • AutoActivation-Working.xml
    6 KB
For OEM activation, leave <ProductKey> blank since Windows will detect it from firmware.

I don't see anything wrong with the preset, but looking at the source versions -- you're patching an already modded image. So most of the original modding changes are unreported. If you didn't keep the previous working preset, I would start over again with a clean ISO.

Repeat all your changes, except for those related to activation. If you save this as a baseline, then the next set of edits that breaks the image will become obvious. The normal rule is always apply a preset to the same clean ISO, instead of updating a patched ISO.

Working: 19045.2075 (Sep 2022 Preview)
Not working: 19045.3155 (June 2023 Preview)

For OEM activation, leave <ProductKey> blank since Windows will detect it from firmware.

I don't see anything wrong with the preset, but looking at the source versions -- you're patching an already modded image. So most of the original modding changes are unreported. If you didn't keep the previous working preset, I would start over again with a clean ISO.

Repeat all your changes, except for those related to activation. If you save this as a baseline, then the next set of edits that breaks the image will become obvious. The normal rule is always apply a preset to the same clean ISO, instead of updating a patched ISO.

Ahh ok, so originally I had the product key set to [KEY]. Once that didn't work, I went back into the auto-saved preset, and changed the product key to be blank. So what you're saying is that going back in and fixing that probably didn't actually change that setting, since I did it on top of an already edited image?

I will try rebuilding from scratch and leaving the product key blank, thank you!

I rebuilt the image from scratch, but its still not activating with the OEM mobo key. I've attached the new config file. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• Auto-saved 457e9845.xml
    23.6 KB
Does this command return an OEM key?
Code:
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

From your preset your KEY should be between here in
<Key></Key>
and you should be good to go.
The preset file can be open with Notepad and edited - and saved afterwards.

From the preset's driver files, this is supposed to be a Surface PC. Which should have a proper OEM key.

The only reason it would fail is you're installing Pro on a Home-licensed model. In that case, you would need a Pro key to activate.

That explain the mysterious
<Version>2023.6.9292</Version>
<Licensed>No</Licensed>
<Protections>Yes</Protections>
<Host>Windows 10 Pro (22H2) x64 - 10.0.19045.3086 (en-US)</Host>
Fxxx me - don't know that NTL could be used on a Surface.

From the preset's driver files, this is supposed to be a Surface PC. Which should have a proper OEM key.

The only reason it would fail is you're installing Pro on a Home-licensed model. In that case, you would need a Pro key to activate.
I plan to use this image on a dell and a surface. The surface drivers are there because generic windows drivers generally don't work for the keyboard, trackpad, and wifi card on the surface.

Every computer I have tried using this on has a pro license. When this 22H2 image didn't work, I installed my custom 22H1 pro image instead which works perfectly and activates automatically.

Back